Paint on brass radiator?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Paint on brass radiator?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry M Young on Friday, April 21, 2017 - 11:54 am:

1914 touring: Is the portion of the upper header tank (part that is under the hood) supposed to be painted black (mine is) or polished brass? My car is not a show car, just a nice driver. Just got the radiator back from the shop after repair, trying to clean it up before installing hence the question re paint.
Thanks
Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, April 21, 2017 - 12:22 pm:

I can't answer that definitevely but I do know they all seem to be. Also shipped from Brassworks that way. Seems a shame actually.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry M Young on Friday, April 21, 2017 - 12:27 pm:

Thanks, Tim, time to break out the rattle can! Gloss or flat? Mine looks flat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Friday, April 21, 2017 - 12:29 pm:

I would go with flat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, April 21, 2017 - 12:34 pm:

Dunno about 1914. My 1915 radiator shows no evidence of ever having been painted under the hood. But I have a 1911 radiator that is painted flat black there.

(Message edited by steve_jelf_parkerfield_ks on April 21, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry M Young on Friday, April 21, 2017 - 12:41 pm:

Thanks all, flat black it is!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Friday, April 21, 2017 - 02:26 pm:

Go to Eastwoods site and look up "radiator paint" which while "yes" you can use black enamel but the Eastwood stuff is thinner and breathes better for heat transfer.

http://www.eastwood.com/ew-radiator-black-12oz-satin-finish.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Friday, April 21, 2017 - 02:47 pm:

Jerry, my original 1914 rad is painted black on the under-the-hood portion. You can see the brass where the paint rubbed off. It looks like flat black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, April 21, 2017 - 02:52 pm:

Jerry, I'm late gettin back here, but the guys answered it correctly. Flat. Irony here is, I've often given thought of stripping mine so the beautiful brass shows! So much for me being purist! ha ha.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 10:37 am:

Brassworks paints the tanks black, but I don't think Ford did. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. The MTFCI Judging Guidelines makes no mention of it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 11:15 am:

Clearly visible in old production photos, the core and inside of the top tank and lower tank are painted a dull black, not left bare shiny reflective brass.

The exposed brass is on the outside of the radiator, for the new owner to keep polishing :-)

Indoor camera lighting.

Outdoor camera shot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 11:22 am:

As a follow-up, the MTFCA encyclopedia has the listing of Ford paints under "Paints" 1913- to end.

F-122 Radiator Black Radiators Air Dry

And an earlier post, about brass lamps being painted, here is that Ford #.

M-151 High Gloss Black Lamp Enamel Lamps and accessories Oven dry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 11:23 am:

Show me the literature saying that brass has to be kept polished.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 01:31 pm:

on our 16 it looks like there is some traces of black paint left not much I will try to get a pic later

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 01:34 pm:

Ford Instruction Book for the owner :-)
Tells the owner to take that pride and wash and shine the T, including the brass!

Ford Manual, 1915

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jesse L. Ashcraft on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 05:09 pm:

Hi Jerry - When I got my '14 radiator back from recore, I painted the shelf where the hood rests semi gloss (had a can laying around) and polished the back of the tank which is the way it came to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 05:19 pm:

Not 1914 but note that the top tank of the radiator on the 1917 Rip Van Winkle touring is not painted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 05:34 pm:

Hard for me to fathom Henry spent a few cents painting radiators, he was very thrifty. I don't think he painted the steering shafts which needed it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Deichmann, Blistrup, Denmark on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 07:40 pm:

"may be polished" does not mean "should be polished" or "must be polished".
It may be done once in a while but not kept shining.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 08:34 pm:

Not a very good pic of our 16 it looks like traces of black paint

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul iverson freeport ill. on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 08:47 pm:

On My earlier picture the Eng was too hot to touch. This pic I rubbed water on tank and the paint shows up not much left and it comes off easy but I am convinced on ours at least it had paint I don't think the rad has ever been off from what I can see

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 08:35 am:

Thanks, Dan. Now we all know for sure. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration