Fitting Hood shelf and hood clips.26/27 roadster P/U

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Fitting Hood shelf and hood clips.26/27 roadster P/U
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerry .D .Best (NZ) on Friday, April 21, 2017 - 10:19 pm:

Hi folks. i am in the middle of fitting the hood shelf and hood clips.The problem is when fitting the hood clips they are very tight to pull up and in fact they don,t meet the hood..Is the spring too tight or ????? .The hood is the rite one and the hood shelves are the rite ones for the vehicle.The hood seems to have a big gap between the hood and the hood shelf.Hope someone can help. Cheers Gerry (NZ)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Macleod on Friday, April 21, 2017 - 10:23 pm:

Cut the springs in half and back them with washers so they don't pull through. It should help. Good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Friday, April 21, 2017 - 11:24 pm:

I'm having the same issue, Cutting seem about right.
Thanks Eric

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 12:43 am:

My experience with repro hood clip springs from the vendors is they are way too stiff for the task. I now use springs from an auto shop selection. Lighter gauge wire, less tension on the hood, [important with alloy hoods] and less chance for coil binding. And they are far easier to assemble in the car.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 12:48 am:

My experience with the repro springs supplied by the vendors is they are way too strong. I get mine from an auto parts supplier's selection box. They are made from lighter gauge wire. They exert much less pressure on the hood, [important with aluminium hoods], are less likely to be coil bound and are far easier to instal.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gerry .D .Best (NZ) on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 02:36 am:

Thankyou for all your help,could someone be able to tell me what size gap is there between the side panel of the hood and the sil at the bottomwhere the hood clips go. Many thanks .Gerry(NZ)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rolf Oehman Oslo Norway on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 07:20 am:

Mine is 3cm or 1 3/16 inch.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration