Another Cautionary Rim Tale

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Another Cautionary Rim Tale
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 06:40 pm:

Went to check the tire pressure on the T today when i noticed my L/F tire had a noticeable bulge near the rim. It looked like the tire was pulling away from the rim by almost 1/4 in. :-( I deflated the tire so i could get a peek at what was happening, and it wasn't good. When i mounted these tires 3 years ago the rims looked pretty good, and weren't that sharp, so i decided they would probably be OK, but i was clearly wrong. As you can see in the pictures, a small section of my rim turned into what amounts to be like a mini saw, and almost cut completely through the tire. Just another word of caution when using old rims, if they look questionable, toss them and find some good used or new ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 07:35 pm:

John, bad luck with your tyre. I find that folks new to Model Ts are at a severe disadvantage when working on restoring a car. Without experience they have little knowledge of how a rim should look. With a nice thick rim they are in a far better place to make a decision on what to use or discard.

It can be a learning curve met in a most expensive manner. Whenever I hear of a newbie getting ready to mount new tyres, I try to get to him before he starts to help him from having your experience.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 09:13 pm:

Often, rims like that can be filed back and rounded enough to work well for many more years. Part of the learning curve is to begin to understand how much filing is okay, and when it is too much.
Hot-dip galvanize can also sometimes fill rims enough to make them good again. Many years ago, I had an opportunity through work to have a whole bunch of rims galvanized for free! (A custom job required the galvanize, and the few things that had to be done were no where near the small truck-load minimum!) I put the dozen rims I had at the time in and was shocked that a few I thought were beyond use wound up giving many good years of service.
Beyond that, I rarely scrap rims. A few I have had that were beyond use on a car have been nice for mounting really old cotton cord tires on for display purposes. These tires date from the days when model Ts were still being built, and I think should be preserved for display just to show tires "from the day". You cannot put much air inside because the tires are too hard and casings rotted inside (a couple I have filled with spray can foam insulation because the tire and/or tube could not hold air at all).
I also figure that one day I may need to cut and weld a couple rims to make a good one. (Can't do that after they have been shipped to China to make decor shelving!)

Yeah. Sorry to say, your tire is done for. The rim might be usable yet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 09:40 pm:

John,
I agree your rims don't look good.
Just curious about how much pressure do you keep in your tires? Most rim cuts come from under-inflation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 09:50 pm:

Layden, I'm pretty anal about keeping them inflated to 55lbs. When i installed these i dressed up anything that looked sharp, but this section that cut the tire seems to have deteriorated more than the rest of the rim. In any case, it goes in my junk pile as a lesson learned.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration