’14 runabout – low speed pedal bottoms out

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: ’14 runabout – low speed pedal bottoms out
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Adey (The Woodlands TX) on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 07:53 pm:

Dug through forum posts and still not sure what to do. I have new wooden bands and adjusted the low speed to just before “creeping”. I replaced the clutch clevis pin and fork (worn and bent). The peddle floors out when pressed. I do get forward motion and eventually a “shudder” and off she goes. I would like a faster “get go” if I can… If I lengthen the slow speed connection, the peddle goes over center and locks down. I suspect the problem is a worn notch and cam in the hogs head. I hate to pull that beast again – but will if so advised. Any other suggestions? As always – much appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Albert Belling on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 08:05 pm:

Pete, are sure you have the clutch clevis adjusted correctly ? It should be loose with about 1/16" play.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 08:35 pm:

Peter

If the low pedal goes over center and locks when pushed down to get underway, the low band is adjusted too loose.

Don't know how you set for 'just creeping', but the low band is tighten so that the pedal will compressing the band tight just about 1 3/4" to 2" from the floorboard. That way you know the low pedal when pushed down fully has clamped tight on the low drum so the T will go in low.

See the note on "Free Neutral" setting, the low band has to be adjusted first.

Once you have low pedal adjusted..... follow the rest of the settings as noted in the sketch, at the clevis, for the 'neutral' when the low pedal releases when you haul back on the emergency brake/clutch lever.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 08:36 pm:

Is the low pedal stopping about 1-1 1/2"s above the floor boards, if not then the low band still needs adjusting. While the clevis can allow the pedal to go over if the low band is out of adjustment, it controls the clutch not the low band.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Adey (The Woodlands TX) on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 12:04 pm:

Appreciate the input. Sorry - I was not very clear and as you can imagine I have been over these drawings a hundred times :-)... The low band is as tight as it can be. Any tighter and the engine strains when hand break is on (or creeps forward). It cannot go any tighter. The problem appears to be that when I depress the peddle - it moves most of it's entire range before the cam inside the hogshead actually begins to tighten the band - ultimately flooring out with just enough band tension to "go" - but I would like it tighter to prevent wear and slipping. If I extend the clevis to provide more range of movement - it goes over center and locks the peddle down...

The cam is definitely worn - causing the large range of ineffective movement - I am looking for options to not have to pull the hogshead again... - or bite the bullet...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 12:20 pm:

Similar problem on my `25 4 door---low petal was "bent down", after many years of use---you might check for this..... it can be bent back cold, without removing anything--good luck Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 12:48 pm:

You can add washers on to,the shaft behind the ear of the band that is on the side opposite the side with the adjusting nut to take up some slack for worn cams as a temporary measure. The washers need to be sized so that they fit over the threaded end of the shaft but not over the shoulder that the band ear rests on. Just be very careful not to drop anything into the pan while you are doing that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Adey (The Woodlands TX) on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 12:49 pm:

Hay Paul - that did the trick - just a slight bend and it is tighter... Going to need to pull the HH eventually anyway- it took me too long to put it on last time and the sealer dried and leaks quite nicely! Thanks for the tip- good enough for now... This helps explain the bent clevis extender as well. Someone had a very heavy foot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Adey (The Woodlands TX) on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 12:54 pm:

Hi Val - I thought of that but alas can not get the left ear off the shaft to add a washer - just not enough room. I can get the spring off - but the shaft is about 1/4 in too long.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration