Engine number from Rouge Plant?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Engine number from Rouge Plant?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 08:54 pm:

My engine number is 10586936...

(Darn phone won't upload pics to the forum done a recent update)..

The link:http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/sernos.htm
Seems to show it might be an October '24 engine, yet it has cast iron pistons, which I thought I read were introduced in May of that year. No biggie really... it is what it is.... just wonder'n...

No real indication any work was done on The engine... but really... how am I to tell? Maybe cast iron were indeed put in on a rebuild.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 09:02 pm:

Dennis-
All Model Ts were built with cast iron pistons.
-Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 09:08 pm:

Keith,
I thought that the very last Ts with X rods (as opposed to H shaped cross section) had steel pistons.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 09:34 pm:

Ford Service Bulletin of May 1920 says that new lighter pistons have been introduced. A change in oil groove was reported in April 1922.
The above were all cast iron before and after these changes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 10:06 pm:

Ahh... so the 'lighter piston weren't aluminum... but still cast iron?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Blake, Kansas City on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 10:27 pm:

Correct. Ford's first use of aluminum pistons came with the introduction of the model A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 10:38 pm:

Cool... thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 10:49 pm:

This earlier post shows the 'steel' piston Ford used for later production after the Model T car mfg. stopped. These pistons were for motors built after the T died. The piston are scrap steel and welded, perhaps during war years? Maybe just a short while.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/316758.html?1350218233

And here is where I posted the late 'X'-rod and lightweight iron piston used in the last month in 1927 of T production.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/589030.html?1451267588

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Saturday, April 22, 2017 - 11:08 pm:

Interesting reading!! Thanks, all!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 09:32 am:

Just made my day. Learned something new. The phrase "new lighter pistons" can, and probably often is, misunderstood for being aluminum. Thanks guys!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration