26/27 frame questions

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 26/27 frame questions
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 06:51 am:

Stripping a 26/27 frame for sandblast. Plan on removing the battery carrier. Anyone know what size shanks are on the rivets to drill them out? Another question is, does the small bolt in the middle of the rear springs have to be removed to take the whole spring assembly off? Frame is upside down on a trailer now and I can't see under if the bolt is attached to the frame. Might just be stuck in the crossmember? Thanks, Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Warren- Huntington, VT on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 07:32 am:

Dave,
I stripped a 26 frame last summer and my battery carrier was held on with nuts and bolts. I'm not 100% sure but I think it was original with the bolts/nuts.

As far as the rear springs, it is a bolt that holds the springs together. The head of the bolt fits up into a small square hole in the rear cross member when it's all assembled but it isn't bolted through the cross member. The only thing holding the rear springs in place to the cross member are the two large clamps.

Hope this helps.
Mike

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 10:02 am:

Dave, the spring centre bolt does not hold the spring in the frame. Micheal is mostly correct, but removing the spring can still be a problem in some cases, as rust and grime can make it very difficult. You might have to get a decent bar into the cross member to lever the spring out. This is more a problem with parts bought in from the woods than on a running car.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 10:06 am:

Dave, I forgot to mention that the battery carrier in our Canadian sourced cars, like Micheal's, is bolted in with 3/8" bolts, so you can replace your rivets with these on re-assembly.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 11:31 am:

Thanks for the replies. Battery carrier is riveted in 2 spots with a bolt in the last one. See evidence that this bolt held the ground strap at one time. Bigger pry bar will be my next attempt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 11:45 am:

Dave
Check your frame for straight!! Many 26-7 frames are sagged in the motor mount/ firewall area!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Frost on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 03:15 pm:

Will do Les. Want to get this frame right before I start assembling.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration