Head Gasket

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Head Gasket
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hoops - Burton,Texas on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 08:47 am:

Yesterday I drove the 12 miles to Burton for the annual Cotton Gin Parade in my í22 roadster. When I arrived at the parade staging area steam was belching out of the exhaust pipe. I immediately left the area so I wouldnít be trapped there and parked the car.
I trailered the car back home and pulled off the cylinder head. The furthest back rear bolt was a bear to get out as it was hard to get to and was frozen in. All of the other bolts came out easily but the other two rear bolts felt like they were not torqued as tightly as the rest. The head was leaking water on the passenger side rear.
I bought this car from and old farmer/machinist in 1988 and this was the first engine problem Iíve had with it other than replacing timers, sparkplugs and transmission bands.
The head nearly fell off after removing all of the bolts. The copper clad head gasket looked almost like new except that it was black/burn colored around the area where it was leaking. There was water/antifreeze all over so I dried it and poured oil over everything. I drained the milky oil and refilled it with some non-detergent oil which I am going to replace with 5-30 or 10-30.
I plan to take the head to a local machine shop to get it leveled. My question is what is the best head gasket to use? Snyderís and Langís list the copper and the steel/silicon types. Also other suggestions are welcome.
Thanks, Robert

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 08:51 am:

The old fashioned copper ones work the best for me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 09:05 am:

My preference, by far is the gasket sold by Ford-n-More on the west coast. It's a copper sandwich type and when sprayed with "copper coat" is the best seal you're going to get. Those silicone gaskets never worked for me. I always ended up with leaks at the outer ends of the head, even after milling.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 09:11 am:

Ford-n More, Spokane Valley, Washington. 509-535-7196. They don't sell online. Gotta call them. I order them 4 at a time to save on shipping. Those Montana 500 guys run this gasket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 09:23 am:

Dave, what's the price for those? Do they have any minimum order? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 09:55 am:

I have always used the copper head gaskets sold by the vendors. My sealant of choice is a heavy coat of aluminised paint each side of the gasket. It works a treat and is not difficult to break loose when needed further down the track.

Hope this helps.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Young in Mays Landing, NJ on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 10:50 am:

I think about $25 each and there is no minimum order. I only have one left and am going to order more on Monday. I try to keep a stock of all of the necessary T gaskets on hand, and I bet I've got 6 of those silicone head gaskets on the shelf. They will stay right there in case somebody else needs one in an emergency....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hoops - Burton,Texas on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 02:01 pm:

Many thanks to all of you.
I really lucked out today when I found a brand new copper gasket which looks exactly like the old one. It was with a bunch of parts that I used to bring with me on long tours. I also found some other parts needed. The old gasket lasted for the 29 years Iíve owned the car plus however many years that the old farmer had it on the road. I plan to leave the head at the machine shop tomorrow.
Thanks again, Robert

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration