Dream job?!?!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Dream job?!?!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Van Evera in the U.P. of MI. on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 02:02 pm:

I've always thought that this would be a "dream job."

Imagine getting paid to drive around Greenfield Village in a Model T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 02:09 pm:

Only if it was sunny and 75 every day. From what I remember about living up north is that it gets damn cold about half the year. But we can still dream,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 02:38 pm:

Joe,

It's "what I wanted to be when I grow up". Mom & dad steered me into another trade however. Some days I wish they hadn't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 02:51 pm:

-Darryl-
Being able to enjoy all 4 seasons, without needing to endure high heat, humidity, and traffic jams is what makes for a 'God's Country' choice. (And "NO!", I, and most of us up here, wouldn't trade...) We'll quietly and un-assumingly do our own 'thing', maybe even wave as you fly-over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darryl Bobzin on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 09:28 pm:

Marv, I left the snow and cold of Buffalo 25 years ago and don't miss it at all. We have a short winter here in NC and that is just the way I like it. I don't fly, but if I'm up that way one fine summer day, I certainly will wave.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Jensen on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 10:39 pm:

I asked about that job when I was at the OCF. The driver told me that he had to drive the route in December when they were open for Christmas. I was 4 degrees above zero and windy. Kind of a deal breaker for this Arizona guy.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 11:49 pm:

And here, I had always thought being a star of adult movies was the "dream job" !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 11:46 am:

OK Burger you can just dream about a job like that!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Bennett on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 08:27 pm:

OK, I have to finally tell you all about my "Dream Job". When I was 9 years old, all I wanted to do was work on old cars. I knew I couldn't really make a living "playing" all day. I worked as a mechanic at several local car dealerships and ultimately worked for the State of California as an investigator for the Bureau of Automotive Repair. About five years ago, I was offered a job helping a private collector restore and maintain his collection of antique and classic automobiles. I took early retirement from the State and went to work doing my "Dream Job". His collection specializes on early race cars, including one that ran in the inaugural Indy 500 in 1911. I just finished repairing a 1911 National Speedway Roadster and my next task will be to re-install the original engine in an original 1963 "289" Cobra. Several months ago there were a few pictures posted of a 1912 Packard racer on this forum. That was one of my rebuilds. I don't mean to brag, but I think I now have the best job in the world and am working for a truly wonderful boss. I only took me 45 years to finally get paid for doing what I wanted to do as a very young man.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 08:33 pm:

Wow, William.... sounds like you made it!! Congrats!! Sounds very cool....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 09:52 pm:

OK, my story will likely make y'all sick, although I never made much money doing it. Back in 1980 When I was 27, went looking for a job, and at the time had two interviews, one here in Oroville with the owner of Solano Rail Car who had a collection of RR and Bentley cars, the other one was with the West Side and Cherry Valley Railway as a restorer (cars and trains). Well that one fell through, and turned out good thing it did as Mr. Taco Bell shut the operation down a few months later, But the Oroville job was mine, for 3 months, assembling a 1927 American RR Roadster. Well, I did that job for some 25 years, and we restored other stuff too, including one Model A blind-back Fordor that arrived with not one piece of wood in the body. I got to work on some pretty special cars, including a prewar RR prototype (The Grey Shadow) and a Packard-Darrin. Didn't always get to do the level of work I preferred, but not too far off the standard.
Went back to college and got my degree late in life, and finally landed a Museum Curator Job that lasted just long enough for me to be too old for others to consider me, and too young to retire. Ah well, it's been an interesting ride. So now I'm back tuning pianos, the job I was doing before 1980.
Burger, I dunno, I hear most of those male adult stars are real stick ups. . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Kable - Kiama NSW OZ on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 04:21 am:

We may have to start a new club here, The old T guys who used to restore cars for collectors club.

When I was 19 I landed a job working for an old car collector who was in the local car club. He had a large collection of all types of cars mostly early Rolls Royce, Bentley, Vauxhall, Stutz, Bugatti, but lots of other early and rare cars English, European and American 2, 4, 6, & 8 cylinder models BUT not any Model T Fords, if I found any T parts in the garage I was told to remove them immediately (got a great Jones speedo free at one time)

He had lots of them registered and had a group young guys who he loaned a vehicle for them to drive and maintain. I was a member of the club and every Monday night was the night to service the cars. I was visiting with the young guys and I asked the collector if he had a job as I had just left my previous one. He wanted to do some restoration on a vary rare 1903 De Dion 4 cylinder.

After that job I put back together a 1914 Delauney Belleville which had been rolled over on a tour and the repairer it had been left with was doing it only between other jobs and it was getting trashed sitting around in the back of the shop.

Not only did I get to work and restore many of the collection I often had to drive them to venues in work hours. Got to work on movies, TV ads weddings. If something had to be done such as welding and I was not up to speed I was sent off to do a course.

The collector was elderly and I could see this wasn't going to be a life long job and left when I was going to get married.

I got to drive many rare and unusual cars, once when my normal transport broke I took home a fantastic 8 litre Bentley sedan. Looking back I was able to work on and drive many cars which are now worth hundreds of thousands of dollars and I learnt lots about restoring and about the cars.

At the time even though it was a great job and a wonderful experience I found having worked at restoring all week I often didn't feel like working on my own restoration on the weekend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan George Long on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 07:19 am:

Allan Bennett (Allan from down under) has the best job in my mind. He gets paid to drive his Model T Chocolate Van plus has access to one of the best chocolate brands in Australia.

Allan is often seen driving the streets of Adelaide doing promotional work for Haighs Chocolate. The company regularly sponsors the Model T club events with samples of their product. Great gig
Alan in Western Australia

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration