Warford transmission

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Warford transmission
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Kilbury on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 02:30 pm:

What is a Worford transmission?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 03:12 pm:

It's an aftermarket pass thru transmission. There are 3 basic types, 3 speed having underdrive, direct, overdrive and the other 2 are ether direct with underdrive or direct with overdrive. Google MTFCA; Warford there has been a lot of info posted in the past.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 09:37 am:

And to add to what Mark said, the Warford was a very popular add-on tranny "back in the day." It had no synchronizers on the gears, and it was tricky to shift. They are now being reproduced, but with gears like a race car or motorcycle so they shift easily. They are a fine piece of equipment, but pricey. The new ones ("KC Warford") give you Ford's two forward gears plus four more, for a total of six. Elmer Layne makes them; Birdhaven sells them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 09:59 am:

Also available from the maker. They also shorten drive shafts. http://www.laynemachine.com/Products.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 01:13 pm:

Lots of us have the original Warfords and really love them and often can be found here or on Tbay. They are a pretty easy installation and it's hard to say which I like better, the Underdrive around the neighborhood and parking lots or the Overdrive on the freeways and open roads. Many of the trucks had cast iron but today the alum cases are preferred. If you haven't Googled Warford yet check it out.

The shifting is sort of like a old standard tranny using no clutch. you just have to match the engine speed with the transmission. Pretty easy after a few tries.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 01:36 pm:

I have a KC Warford in my 27 Tudor. I really like it. This car has 4:1 diff. gears so pulling hills is much easier. The OD gives a good top end RPM.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 08:33 pm:

To add a bit to what Gene said, I bought a '26 Touring that has a Ruckstell "AND" a Warford! Not sure I'd have built a "T" this way (with both) but I can tell you one thing,..... that with everything in "low", it makes loading the "T" on a trailer absolutely foolproof! I literally "crawls"!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 02:14 am:

But remember one thing. not sure about the newly designed / built ones, but with the originals, just like a Ruckstell, if you miss a gear change, you ain't got no brakes till you get the thing back in gear and I know someone who can confirm that is not always easy. Luckily he and his wife did survive!
If you are going to invest in such an item, I'd fit a set of Rocky Mountains or such first.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration