Crummy Repop Ammeter

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Crummy Repop Ammeter
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 07:07 pm:

Well, it was bound to happen. I had ordered a brand new ammeter and was pretty pleased with the look of it when it came in. It's nice handling brand new stuff. My original one was pretty hammered up on the backside and was intermittently grounding to case, so I pried up the four little tabs on the backside, jiggled it a bit to get the indexing tab out of its groove and turned the whole assembly twenty or thirty degrees so the tabs slipped out through their little reliefs in the switch plate. I put the new one in only to find that the tabs in the case lined up with the reliefs without having to turn it and the indexing tab was so flat it may as well not have been there so there was no option to twist and lock it in place. I got the tabs bent to retain it but it still moved around a bit because the mount just isn't quite right. A bit of black RTV on the backside should help hold it straight.

I think the support we have for these cars is incredible considering their age, and I hope it continues for a good long time. It's unfortunate though when parts like this are so half assed when it only would have taken thirty more seconds of good research to get it right. Sure, the new ammeter was only about ten bucks but I'd gladly pay fifteen or twenty for it to fit properly.

Just my rant of the day, and I'll probably call the parts vendor this week just in case there's some provision for them to give feedback to the manufacturer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 07:15 pm:

Tim
Would you pay $60 for an excellent quality reproduction ammeter for your 1926 Model T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 07:26 pm:

Sure Ron, quality speaks for itself..... Who offers the $60.00 ammeter ????????

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 07:28 pm:

The model a re pops are a 50/50 chance that they will work. Or that's my experience.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 08:01 pm:

We have about 4 of the repop sitting on the shelf all with the same problem, the hands have fallen off.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 08:39 pm:

I will probably regret this, but in my opinion a selling price of $60-$80 dollars will be required for someone to develop a good quality accurate d'arsenvol movement ammeter for the Improved Model T. Just like the Quality 1919 -1925 Ammeter available today.
I can just hear the hear the cheap Model T crowd squealing now??
Society changes one death at a time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 08:45 pm:

I was going to say that I guess John Regan just hasn't gotten around to making a '26-'27 ammeter yet. Because everything he does is absolutely first rate. Tim if you want a really good one, see if John will either fix you one up or make you one. It's definitely worth asking and the worst he can do is say no.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Miller, mostly in Dearborn on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 08:47 pm:

I keep hearing that Steve at Bert's Model A is working on a better ammeter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard E Moore Jr. Pickwick lake Tenn. on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

That's kind of a sick thing to say.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

Richard,as you must know,Model T people are penurious has hell.
I ought to know.I am one.
BUT,having been in business,I emphaticaly understand the need to cover costs,and come out ahead.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eddy Lee Emerson on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 10:55 pm:

Tim, The fellow who bought my Model A also bought another Model A and 26 roadster at an estate auction. These cars had been in storage in an old filling station since 1960. When cleaning out the trunk of the roadster we found two ammeters still in their original boxes. I got one of these ammeters. I mostly took it for the box. I will probably never need this ammeter and would like to pass it on to someone who can use it. So if you would like an NOS ammeter, still in the box, at no charge, pm me a mailing address. Ed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 07:36 am:

Thanks for the info and for the offers fellas, but really I just wanted to vent a little frustration. My repop appears to function just fine so I'll be keeping it installed.

I hadn't realized the Model A used the same ammeter, that would probably explain why I had to reverse the wires on the back to make it read correctly. I wonder if the A mounts a little differently too and that's why mine wasn't quite right. Oh well, if it falls apart it'll match the rest of the old farm truck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eddy Lee Emerson on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 08:09 am:

I had two messages in my morning e=mail concerning the ammeter I offered Tim. One was from Texas, but the other one instantly disappeared when I opened it, so I don't know who sent it. If you e-mailed me, and do not get a response , please try again. Ed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 08:52 am:

Best ammeter I've seen (okay, I've only bought one) is from Fun Projects.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 11:57 am:

I think the last of those cheap ammeters I put in my TT was designed for a seismograph instead of a T. It moved back and forth faster or slower depending on road conditions. they fill the hole is about all they do well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 11:59 am:

Mack
I can't stop laughing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 06:25 pm:

"Model T people are penurious has hell."
Some of us do not have a choice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 03:00 am:

Should have been 'as hell'.
Wayne,the T Ford with the exception of the early cars,has always been the cheapest antique car to play with.
But,by being too cheap,we have encouraged the manufacture of some very substandard parts.And the low prices that they can be sold for conditions us that is all a particular item is worth,regardless of quality.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration