"original" paint and sand blasting?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: "original" paint and sand blasting?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 09:40 pm:

Ok, so I bought a pair of early take off side lamps. They are really nice with good shine but I had to blast them off to repaint red for my fire truck.

That paint came off in the blast cabinet like dirt in the car wash! Underneath was some copper color and some green but it was light and not total. I have never blasted anything that was so nice that came off so easy. Do you think this is original Ford paint? The media is "black magic" or flint abrasive and a little aggressive. I have just never had hard paint with a shine go away so easy and fast. It was not thin and in fact quite thick, just blasted right off.

Was this Ford paint and if so it might be water proof and dent proof but sure comes off easy with a blaster.

Tim Moore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 09:52 pm:

There's a good chance that it was given what you describe seeing with the metal underneath. Quite often it will have sort of a shiny patina to it with an odd color and without being rusty. Depending on what your lamps are, keep in mind that it likely wasn't Ford's finish but the finish applied by the lamp manufacturer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Hills on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 12:21 pm:

original paint and purple lenses good combo glad they are going to work for you Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 02:12 pm:

Once upon a time,NOS late-type sidelights were commonplace.Every dealer got stuck with a bunch of these.So it is entirely possible you had one with original paint,probably 'japan'.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 02:32 pm:

To add to Jim Eviston's post -

There are a lot of original/unrestored side lamps that have survived that are early take off if not NOS with nice shiny black paint and bright, rust-free interiors and un-lit wicks.

I've seen them at swap meets, antique shops and they also show up at estate sales here in the Twin Cities.

The biggest problem is the antique shop and estate sale folks think they are rare and worth a lot so they usually have ridiculously high prices on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tim moore, "Island City" MI on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 02:45 pm:

Scott, don't know if you ever got the email with the photo's of the side lights on the ALF brackets?

Thanks again, just getting started on them.

Tim Moore

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration