9 Tooth Pinion

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 9 Tooth Pinion
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 09:59 pm:

I see Lang's now has a 9 tooth, anyone here yet use one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David L Corman on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 10:22 pm:

Why for ???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 10:59 pm:

Why For???? I would like to know what they think

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Glen Chaffin on Sunday, April 23, 2017 - 11:26 pm:

We make the 9 tooth pinions for Greenfield village. They use them in their touring cars for rides around the village. That's because they drive very slow around the village. No one else would want to use them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 12:02 am:

Jerry, I don't use one currently but I have one. For use in special purpose Ts:

-Hill climb speedsters
-Pickups used for heavy farm work, logging or construction
-for use with an aux-trans with a very tall overdrive
-off roading
-a T mounted with a Maxim gun to fight ISIS in Syria...

It's a pity no one is making an 8 tooth to take on the TT guys. Glen, any chance of making those?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 12:06 am:

I don't know much about rear axles, but don't you have to use a different ring gear also?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerome Hoffman, Hays Kansas on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 12:31 am:

My thought was yes with an aux trans, what are the reports from GV? I can see them getting into high very fast and that would be something good for that application.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 12:58 am:

Corey, 9 tooth is used the same ring gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 05:44 am:

Here's a picture showing how Ford made the 10 tooth pinion so it would interchange with the std 11 tooth and work with the same 40 tooth ring gear. The 9 tooth is made in a similar fashion, but I think there's a limit to how few tooth you can make that'll still work with the same ring gear, so an eight tooth would probably be stretching it?

hhhh

With the std rear axle ratio 11/40 you get about 40 rpm per mph in high. Thus the engine revs about 1400 rpms at 35 mph. With optional gears like 13/39 you'll get 33 rpm/mph and only about 1150 rpms at 35 mph, the 10 tooth pinion in the picture gives 44 rpm/mph and 1540 rpm at 35 mph and the 9 tooth pinion discussed in this thread would give 49 rpm/mph and a screaming 1715 rpm at 35 mph.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 06:06 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Sherman on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 09:42 pm:

I had some 8 and 9 tooth pinion gears at Bakersfield and they sold like hot cakes. Probably used for performance if they were in my Dad's gear pile. Jerry

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration