My Vehicle shakes badly just before I am stopping

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: My Vehicle shakes badly just before I am stopping
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zelda Ysabel on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 01:28 am:

Hello Friends,

I have T Ford 1924 (I donít know transmission exactly), in this I am facing a problem. Like, when I am pressing foot brake, T shakes badly. The shaking happens just as the car moves to a stop. I supposed that possibly the brake pedal band required tapering. After tapering to just close to locking state, the shaking appeared to have somewhat improved, but the shaking hasnít been eliminated adequately for me to suppose that the trouble has been solved. Now, I feel that it can be a transmission, universal joint or clutch problem, but earlier than I take the remarkable step to take out the engine and take apart the transmission, has someone any recommendations please?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 01:34 am:

After using the brake to slow the car along with reducing the throttle. Are you using the clutch for the final stopping? Sounds a little like you might be waiting a little too long to use the clutch coming to full stop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 02:09 am:

Badly worn brake drum band? How many miles ago were the bands replaced and what type of material are they?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 07:10 am:

Band chatter?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 08:51 am:

Possibly worn drum bushings. Take the inspection cover off the hogs head and with the spring tension off the clutch push ring see how much the drums move from side to side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 09:21 am:

Try pumping the brake pedal as you slow down to let some oil get to the lining, you can't drive these model T's like most people drive a modern car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 09:52 am:

I'm with Constantine. Before the days of Kevlar, I used to use hard transmission lining. I could lock the wheels up in a panic stop but, my oh my how it would chatter! I used to let off on the foot brake just before coming to a stop (before that chatter would start) and then use the hand brake to come to a complete stop.

: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 10:08 am:

Could be the rear brake drums or the brakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 11:20 am:

You haven't said whether you have rear wheel brakes or just the original transmission brake. You also don't state what kind of brake lining you have. If you have wood, sometimes there is some chatter. The chatter could be in the brakes or it could be in the engine. At low speed does the engine run smoothly or does it run rough? If it runs rough try using the brake and just at the time it starts to run rough put the clutch into neutral. If the chattering stops, the problem is in the engine. Also a loose universal joint could cause some chatter.

Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Kossor - Kenilworth, NJ on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 12:18 pm:

Could be the type of oil or oil additive being used. I experienced similar brake chatter as the car moves to a stop after adding MMO to the oil. It took a couple of oil changes to flush it out and now brakes smoothly again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 12:37 pm:

Remember,when you lock the driveshaft,one rear wheel is trying to spin forward and the other backward.Hard braking shot of locking produces the same result.Shudders like hell.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 01:47 pm:

...short of locking....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zelda Ysabel on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 05:32 am:

Thanks everyone for your support and suggestions. Yes, i am using the clutch for the final stopping. Is it wrong? Should i do something else?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 05:53 am:

No, you must release the high speed clutch before coming to a full stop, or the engine will be stopped too :-)

Some chatter from the bands is common and may be caused by a burned surface of the band in question - did you open the transmission inspection lid to see what you have in there? Worst chatter may come from hard automatic transmission linings that were used by some during the 60's-70's before Kevlar was available.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 08:04 am:

Talk about not enough info....by the way what the heck does using the clutch for stopping mean? Jim: why doesn't one rear wheel, the one supposedly trying to spin in reverse, go into a skid every time you hit the brakes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 08:18 am:

Perhaps you're pushing the clutch in too far (past center) and engaging low gear instead of being in neutral so the car is trying to go and stop at the same time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 08:27 am:

Charlie - the friction between the tire and the road is quite important :-)

Actually, with a string of wet ice on the road you may get the result Jim writes about, one wheel spinning against the motion but not much braking force at all.. Fortunately not so common nowadays, since it isn't a time of the year when you really wants to be out driving your T..
(A solution would be to apply the emergency brake and hope for some friction for at least one of the wheels)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 08:42 am:

When you are stopped and you take your foot off the brake pedal (lever forward) will the car move?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 09:09 am:

I had that problem and I can assure you that I was not using the clutch to stop. I was using the hand brake lever to go into neutral by pulling it back just enough to engage the cam and then applying the brake. The only way I could keep it from shuttering at the end was by releasing the brake pedal just before it started shuttering and then reapplying it. I took off the inspection cover and found that the drums were loose on the shaft due to worn bushings. I pulled the engine, replaced the bushings and the problem went away. I am not saying there aren't other things that might cause the problem but I have no doubt that worn drum bushings can cause what you describe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Cameron Whitaker, Oklahoma City on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 03:11 pm:

How about a front end problem? When you say it shakes, you aren't specific on how it shakes. Is it a bad side-to-side wobble, and does the steering wheel fight you?

My '24 Touring had very similar problems to what you're talking about. It was a very bad side-to-side shake that happened just as you were approaching a full-stop.

A rebuilt front end fixed the problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 05:30 pm:

Bunk.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zelda Ysabel on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 03:33 am:

Thanks everyone for your valuable suggestions. I wish now i can solve my problem. I am searching another best options from http://www.autozin.com/for-sale/ford-model-t

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 08:34 am:

I have the same issue in my spare engine. I took off the trans inspection cover and found a piece of metal in the screen. I suspect broken brake drum lug shoes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 01:11 pm:

Well Zelda, that's an extreme solution.

Anyway, sounds like a very common problem that has plagued Model T's forever. It's called band chatter. Try adding 1/2 quart of automatic transmission fluid to your engine oil. Or, you could have your brake band relined. Even so, I would, (and do), still add the trans fluid. The ATF additive won't fix it immediately, it will take some time to have an effect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 02:07 pm:

Agree with Jerry as to the cause. Automatic trans fluid has never worked for me but I've heard it has worked for others. In my case it was Kevlar that caused the chatter. It occurred only just before coming to a stop and was especially annoying coming to a stop on a downhill grade. My solution was to switch over to Scandanavia bands.
I've heard wood bands can also cause chatter, but I've never personally tried them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 02:32 pm:

That's odd. My bands are Kevlar and I have absolutely no chatter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 04:15 pm:

Richard,

ATF does not seem to cure the chatter problem when using Kevlar.

Steve,

I had chatter with Kevlar after I overheated them and glazed them.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration