Coil question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Coil question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 11:28 am:

I acquired some coil cores and rebuilt them. Three turned out fine but I have an issue with the forth. It is a Ford script coil and it appears that the center contact, the one on the top of the coil box that is about 1/2" in diameter that the lower points contact, is shorter than the ones on the other three coils. When I install the new point set I can not get the point surfaces to set flat against each other. Due, I believe, to the contact post being shorter the upper point bridge has a slight down angle after the gap has been set and the lover point section has a slight up angle as seems to be the norm with the other three coins. I considered lapping the points with a point file to try to square them up to each other or maybe shorting the two spacers on the posts that the upper bridge section attaches to. Any ideas??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 12:11 pm:

I'm not sure I'm following you completely, but I find it pretty common to have to add shim washers under the spacers where the points mount in order to get the points to align squarely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 12:56 pm:

In my case, with this one coil, it appears that the spacers would need shortened. The points are only contacting on the front, so I think, the top assembly or bridge needs to be lower where it mounts over the spacers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 01:36 pm:

even tho the points should be square, I think it would still work fine. I have had many coils with similar situations and they work good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BRENT MIZE on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 02:53 pm:

Steve,
I do coils ab out every day and I strive to get the points aligned to near perfect contact. Usually that involves shims, however you have a different issue. Your secondary has sunk or it was never the correct height. The best way to achieve the result that you want is to sand down the upper bridge spacers.
Hold them against a belt sander and take off a few thousands at a time. Usually .0030 to .0060 will do the job. It's not an exact science. Just play around with them until you get the fit that you want.
The spacer's only real job is to get the points to align as the coil was designed. Very few coils come in with little or no shimming or fussing necessary. Points that come together cockeyed, wear irregulary. You are wise to work with the points for the best alignment.
I hope this helps,
Brent
The Coil Doctor

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By BRENT MIZE on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 02:55 pm:

Steve, you are welcome to call if necessary.
614-582-9422.
Brent

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Addington on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 03:00 pm:

Thanks fellas. I was thinking along those same lines but wanted to be sure before I started sanding on the spacers.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 07:35 pm:

This is a common coil problem.
Model T Ford ignition coil points are designed for the coil primary winding core to extend 1/4 inch above the wood top of the 1917-1927 wood coil.
If the coil is badly mishandled the core may shift and change this setting. This also happens when point collars indent the coil wood top changing the position of the upper bridge point.
Anything else must be miss-adjusted to obtain correct point geometry.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration