Collect cast iron toys?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Collect cast iron toys?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 02:40 pm:

This items is being sold on eBay by several dealers. they put a question mark after "Original", but they each are selling several of the same toy truck.. Some times they sell with all wheels and sometimes they remove several wheels to make the item look older. When questioned about selling the reproductions, they say they never said that is was really old.
These trucks are marked Malatesta & Sons Moving And Storage.
toy truck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 08:10 am:

I will add to your post to also avoid any cast iron toy that is screwed together or is using roll pins for axles. There are a lot of fakes that came around in the 1970's which have been distressed and are either being sold by clueless sellers or trying to get sold to clueless buyers.

As with everything on eBay its buyer beware and if it looks too good to be true it probably is!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 08:22 am:

Well, the fakes (in new condition) may be cool as decorations or - toys - for the kids if they're priced right - it's the faked patina they're trying to fool buyers with that is offensive. Same with porcelain signs lately.

Mark - were the originals riveted together? I rarely see any US originals over here, but the fakes floods the earth..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Bowers on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 10:18 am:

I agree with Mark and Roger,

I looked it up on Ebay there are several of that same truck for sale. They all use Philips screws to hold them together. Should be a give away of a repo or at least a non period repair.

Nothing wrong with a repo as long as it as sold as such. Faking patina is shady.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 11:04 am:

Darel,

Interesting. Years ago, at the Hershey car show, several really nice old Mack trucks, (real ones, not toys), showed up, all marked Malatesta & Sons. Maybe that firm had several of these made as advertising pieces some time back?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 11:55 am:

If you think that's bad, checkout the porcelain sign fakes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 01:34 pm:

Roger, you hit it - the original toys are riveted, in the 30's there were also many that had spring clips which allowed you to change bodies as well as one piece castings where only the axles were rivets- they are usually the smaller toys, and I have a very large telephone truck that has a screw holding a nickel plated water barrel on it but the main truck is still riveted. Every now and then you will see an original that someone screwed together after a rivet pulled out or they restored and if not marked Arcade you would not know what you were buying but 99% of the ones with screws are fake.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration