If its worth doing, its worth doing right: or How to ruin $200 in bearings.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: If its worth doing, its worth doing right: or How to ruin $200 in bearings.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Bowers on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 05:45 pm:

Good Evening All,

Just thought I would post some progress on the 26. Would like to say that the person I bought the car from was an awesome seller, he bought the car at auction and got burned badly. When I bought it from him, I went into it with eyes open to the problems this vehicle has. He had in his listing "26 roadster, some good, some bad, little awful" hahah

The car was "rebuilt" but not very well (I'm thinking mostly paint and call it a day)

One of the issues with the car was front suspension and wheel bearings, spent the last 2 days getting this sorted. Today I pulled the hubs off, and to my surprise I find new-ish Timken replacement bearings! They were shot. I couldn't believe that they failed so quickly until I saw the bearing cups. I figure one of two things happened here
1) The person rebuilding the front end installed the bearings crazy tight, causing premature wear
or
2) The person rebuilding the front end had no way of pressing out the cups, so decided to leave the worn ones in and install the new bearings anyway (I have a feeling that is what happened here)

Both the inners and the expensive outers are shot, and new(ish)

Anyway this car is full of stuff like that. Things that if only a little more care was taken the car would have been a great driver. I am new to Ts but have been around As long enough to know that some people see these as "simple cars" and for some reason that give them a mental pass to shade tree it.

Other pictures of the day. The As are staring down the T, wondering what will become of it :-)

Going to put an OHV in it and probably 32 wire wheels, juice brakes, etc. Still deciding on what to do with the fenders (nice original fenders, repo running boards) Going to lower it, but not as much as Clayton. If I pull the fenders off I am sure someone on here would like a set of nice original ones.

So in summery, if its worth doing, its worth doing right the first time. No sense in spending money on parts if you are just going to do a poor job installing them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 06:51 pm:

Those are NOT Model T outer wheel bearings as they are threaded Left & Right - those appear to be Model A.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stephen Bowers on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 06:53 pm:

Steve,

Those were the inner bearings, Outer bearings were correct replacement threaded inner race.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 07:29 pm:

Stephen,
I am finding similar issues with my 1926 runabout front axle assembly. At some point the original offset spindles were swapped out for earlier ones without the offset. One leaf had been removed from the front spring and on the right front wheel, the original threaded outer bearing was replaced with one that just slipped over the threads. Cotter pins rather than safety wire on the radius rod ball cap. I don't understand why anyone would cut corners on front end components or integrity. I am now going over the entire front end assembly and replacing anything questionable.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 09:37 pm:

For those front wheel bearings the best prices are usually at rockauto.com.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 10:06 pm:

My mistake ! And, my apologies !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 10:33 pm:

Stephan,I'm old school and some what of" I try to put them back as close to what they were type." So--- if you going to do it right first time,do it right. otherwise it's just a hot rod.YMMV

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 02:49 pm:

Steve Jelf,
Thanks for the RockAuto front wheel bearings source. Didn't know they stocked them. Just ordered a set. Have had good luck with RockAuto in the past.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration