Early 09 10 11 13 Front Fender Iron Question - Have 2 Pair 1 marked T343 the other T343 F

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Early 09 10 11 13 Front Fender Iron Question - Have 2 Pair 1 marked T343 the other T343 F
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 06:42 pm:

I have two sets of early rounded underside (pre 1914 V shaped bottom) front fender irons. One on the right is just marked T343 for the factory part number, the other on the left is T343F, which I am assuming is the 'newer' ie probably the 13 set I need. You can see some differences between the two. Roddas book talks a bit about them, but the pictures are two dark to make out much detail.

Would the right T343 be the 09-10 or 11 type? It seems to be a bit thinner around the round portion before it mates with the flat area that mounts to the frame. It has a more pronounced U shaped dip in the top of this area, versus the left T343F set (see Arrow A)

Also, a difference between the two at Arrow B.

I have the right iron laying over the left iron in the picture, so the right may look a little larger in thickness because of it being closer to the camera. I can get measurements if needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 08:38 pm:

Think your analysis is about right.

The pic in Rodda's book is poor, but you can tell the 'neck' difference in the later iron (on left, the dark poor pic). The dark photo is of the 'heavier' iron used to about July-Aug 1911. The thick neck doesn't swoon in.

The one on the right, (better pic) shows the more deep curve of the neck, the lighter one, used to about car #4500 according to Rodda.

(Message edited by Dan_Treace on April 24, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 09:50 pm:

Thanks Dan. Your pic is better than in my book. I am leaning towards the early pre 4500 1909 style as well. I will get my calipers out and see about what they mean by being about .10" off. I thinking in the neck area as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 11:41 pm:

Does anyone have the change card info on from fender irons?

I was wanting to go to the Benson Archives in March and April to look at this type of info, but that plan fell through. Hopefully later this year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 05:49 am:

Royce could probably answer this

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 10:03 am:

Check with Kim Dobbins. He knows more about '09s than anyone I know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 04:00 pm:

Larry, John: hopefully they have the time to chime in. Thought I'd post here first, and for others to see as well.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration