Trouble shooting intermittent starter suggestions appreciated

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Trouble shooting intermittent starter suggestions appreciated
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 07:25 pm:

Trouble shooting intermittent starter

OK trying to get a 1921 Model TT reliable and ready for our towns memorial day parade! New car checking it out. Starter was intermittent. That is stepping on the floor starter button at times it worked, at times it did not. Thought I may need to rebuild the switch. I did clean metal bright positive cables to the starter button and the ground.

Now suddenly nothing. No start. Charged 6 volt battery good connection no good

took two positive cables off of starter button touched them together nothing

Hooked battery charger 12 volt 9 amps to starter thru the cable then to the screw nut on starter nothing

Now trouble shoot how can I trouble shoot the starter or just take the starter in for a check and rebuild? I hate taking off the bendix!!!! those small bolts at the top drive me batty

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 09:37 pm:

Use the crank! :-) Could be the buss bar that the terminal stud mount to has lost it's connection to the buss bar. Or the starter bendix is locked up, can you crank the car of is it locked up too?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 09:47 pm:

Dave
I agree with Mark.
I suspect the most common failure of Model T starters.
If you need help let me know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 09:54 pm:

Hey Ron since you're here, I'm in need of a new starter. Can you PM me a price and availability of a rebuilt one?...Thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 07:00 am:

Mark excellent suggestion Car came without a crank !!! I will install one today as it SHOULD always have one and try to turn over the engine. If not, then need to pull the starter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 08:07 am:

The starter may only need brushes,this is unlikely because they seem to last forever, but one might be stuck, easy to check. If you have never removed a model T starter, be sure to remove the Bendix drive first. Brad from N.H.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 06:12 pm:

Thank you all
Thanks for the starter advice. The rear wheel is jacked up
Car engine turns over with hand crank fine
Hooked up 12 volt battery directly to the positive post on starter
Heavy amps but just a short inch perhaps attempt to turn engine with the electric starter
Will; pull starter and Bendix and repair

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration