Note to self; soak spare band in oil and clamp around drum before storing!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Note to self; soak spare band in oil and clamp around drum before storing!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, April 24, 2017 - 09:30 pm:

a couple of years back I mounted a Wards lining to a band and stored it in the car in case was needed on road. I looked at it today this is what I found;

When it was mounted it was done correct but over the couple of years it kinda shrunk a little! :-(
I am going to soak in oil and clamp around an old drum and see if it can be saved. If not I will redo and then soak in oil, wrap around a drum and store in plastic bag.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 01:29 am:

It's toast... you don't want to even try and run that. The best thing you can do is soak the bands for at least 24 hours before installing, start ant the ends and work out the 'bump' in the middle (from your comment you indicate you did this), then wrap it up good before carrying it as a spare. I've had bands pre-lined for 20 years as spares without any problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 01:36 am:

Or better yet don't soak the bands in oil before installing and let the splash system do it for you.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 08:17 am:

I don't know if kevlar will shrink like that, does anyone know for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Colin Mavins Winnipeg,Canada on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 06:09 pm:

Correct me if I'm wrong but when installing the band you are to start by attaching both end and then compress the rest of the band and then rivet we never have any extra to cut off and never have shrinkage. Cheers Colin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 06:37 pm:

I guess I'm running an experiment with Kevlar. This winter, I riveted a Kevlar lining to a spare removable band and put the band (dry, no oil) in a plastic bag in the basement for future use.

Since Betsy has cotton bands, it is only a matter of time before I will have to use the spare band. I'll report back at that time whether there is any evidence of shrinkage or not.

Did somebody say shrinkage? :-O

george

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kohnke Rebabbitting, Clare, Iowa on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 07:05 pm:

The band was installed wrong. They can look like that as soon as the rivets are done.

The material was unevenly packed.

Herm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 08:14 am:

I think it may have been a Scandinavia band of the shorter (= too short) kind, that was produced by Cantex in the years before the latest "tar babies" came according to Steve Tomaso in this thread: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/735244.html?1489456114

Originally Scandinavia bands had the correct 23-1/2" length, but they were shortened to 22 & 1/2" and that's not enough material to both have a little overlap and also compress it inside - it risks being stretched like Mark's in the above picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 08:30 am:

Mark,

Just try soaking it, as you mention. Maybe out in the sun, to add a little heat to the equation. I suspect it'll come back and be fine. Besides what have you got to lose by trying? Let us know.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 11:16 am:

The photos make the lining look darker then it is. It's off white. It was done correctly, ends riveted with loop, the loop was then spread out. As I said, this was new but old cotton lining and where the lined band is stored in the side boxes on my T, is exposed to hot, cold, dry and moisture. I am going to try and save it, if not I have other "OLD" linings in my collection to work with. :-) Warming it is a good idea!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration