Crosby North Dakota-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Crosby North Dakota-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 08:26 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 08:35 am:

Great photo. Love the details on the house though I wouldn't want to be painting all that trim :-) Early Cadillac?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 08:45 am:

With cropping and increased contrast.

pic1

pic2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 08:47 am:

I thought Cadillacs back then had a problem with their rear wheel bearings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 08:56 am:

They are just practicing for the DEWAR TROPHY competition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 09:13 am:

Maybe the same problem Gil Fitzhugh had last year with his early Cadillac :-( ?

http://boards.hcca.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=961

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 09:57 am:

Maybe 1903 or 1904 Knox ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 03:21 pm:

Neat Early Photo. Thanks Herb!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 07:15 pm:

Interesting. That looks like a large flywheel under the car. Ford two cylinder cars had a fairly small flywheel, and difficult to see from away of the car because it was near the center of the chassis. While the larger flywheel of the Cadillac was much more visible than the Ford's, it was not that large and was spoked. Maybe this car's flywheel was altered for some reason? However, the car does appear to have a typical early radiator under the front. It is small like the early model A "three row" radiator, and appears straight up and down like the Ford. Cadillac radiators were usually slanted back a bit. I don't think it is a Cadillac, unless it has been substantially modified.
Knox at that time was almost entirely air-cooled. Water cooled Knox came about nearly five years after this car was likely built. So not likely a Knox either.
Wilson built most of the bodies for Ford and Cadillac in '03/'04. They also built bodies for several other companies trying to get into the automotive business. So this could be any of several off makes. I would have to do some research to do any better than that (which I cannot do right now). Somehow, Northern comes to mind?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 10:05 pm:

Cool car and the house is great. I love old stuff. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Woolf on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 10:19 pm:

I think it could be a 1904 Elmore. It looks very similar to the car in the picture below. I am fairly certain that it is not a Cadillac or Ford.

1904 Elmore

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 10:23 pm:

I can't tell if that's a radiator or shadows of something holding the car up and showing through. The enlargement is distorted. Looks like a stanhope type body which makes this pretty early. Curious to find out what it actually is.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Gitts - Ferndale, WA on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 10:27 pm:

Here's a 1904 Knox. The body and front nose look similar as does the large flywheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Stan Howe Helena, Montana on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 01:48 am:

Crosby was an important stop on the Soo Line Railroad. It is in northwest North Dakota in wonderful farm country. Land was homesteaded early and the farms and the town were quite successful. The Soo Line shut down in the 50's and like most other areas in farm country the farms got bigger as the original homesteaders died off, the machinery got bigger and more efficient and transportation made the big towns closer.

A friend was just in Crosby for a few days helping get started on setting up a huge auction that will take place this summer. Not T stuff, tractors and pickups from the 60's and 70's. He will be back there again, maybe he can see if that house is still there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 08:07 am:

I thought that the 1904 Knox was right from first looking at the photo Les put on the forum, then I noticed that I could not see the front springs like in the original photo. So maybe it is a different car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 10:02 am:

I wonder if the house still exists. Grain elevator in the background of the picture places this house about
4 houses from the railroad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 12:37 am:

Stan - Surprised at you,...an ol' school teacher at that! Not very often we can catch you on a spelling mistake, but ya' made one this time! It's $oo Line,....not "Soo Line", ...... (:^) .......harold
Well, better throw this in before you have time to correct me! I guess to be absolutely correct, it's actually Minneapolis, St. Paul & Sault Ste. Marie R.R.

....jus' giv'n ya' "the business" Stan,.....harold

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration