OT: Nut and Bolt Question.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT: Nut and Bolt Question.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 10:18 am:

Mounting a winch and winch plate on my flatbed trailer to help load and unload the T and my WWII jeep. I've got a metal frame up at the nose of the trailer and want to weld or install and winch plate and then the winch to it facing towards the rear of the trailer.
I'm envisioning nuts and bolts to hold the winch to the winch plate with the stress of the winch under load being pulled towards the rear of the trailer.
Does it make any practical sense in which way the nuts and bolts are installed for this? Does it affect the load bearing ability of the nut and bolt if the bolt head is towards the front of the trailer with the nut toards the rear, or vice versa?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 10:21 am:

Shouldn't matter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 10:58 am:

Put two up and two down that way you'll always be half right or half wrong! :-)

When I load my T's on the trailer I just use a couple of big "C" clamps on the trailer tongue to hold the winch in place that way I can remove it after loading and it's not exposed to weather or theft.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Goelz-Knoxville,TN on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 11:08 am:

It's also a rolling load so not a lot of weight to pull around, maybe 200 #

Rick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 11:52 am:

Robert,

The direction of the bolt heads isn't particularly important from a strength standpoint. More important is the size of the bolts and the structure that you're bolting to.

Dick

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 12:33 pm:

Its light i cant see if mattering much. I load a 2800 mustang all the tome with a steel plate at the front of the trailer and i put a grade 8 bolt on each corner.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 12:45 pm:

OK, sounds like I'm overthinking it. I've got it bolted through the floor boards on the trailer now and it creaks pretty good coming up the stepped ladder ramp as it rolls into and out of the voids. So I thought we'd upgrade from our 2500 lb ATV winch and go with something in the 5k to 9k type.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration