Old Photo - Load Not To Exceed One Ton

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Load Not To Exceed One Ton
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 10:32 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Howard D. Dennis Byron, Georgia on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 10:13 am:

Those WD markings show up in a lot of WWI photos but I don't know what they mean. British, maybe?

Howard Dennis

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Evan in Paso Robles on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 11:11 am:

The W D with the "Broad Arrow" is the British War(Ordinance) Department marking. It was used as an acceptance stamp on arms, a stencil on canvass items and other military property.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 11:45 am:

"Load Not to Exceed 1 Ton" makes me smile. When I was a kid my grandfather was using the TT I now have as his orchard truck. We'd use 40 pound fruit boxes. During the season we'd load that ol' truck with 100 or more full boxes. Do the math. :-)

Often the orchard dirt was soft having been disced. The truck tires would sink in. He'd slip the Muncie into low, push the pedal down for planetary low and off we'd go. It was a slow process, but that truck never hesitated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 12:58 pm:

Evan,

Thanks for that explanation. I had seen that before, but couldn't think of where. Since you mentioned that, I'm pretty sure I've seen that on some Enfield rifles.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 01:40 pm:

I have a rifle with that same stamp.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jem Bowkett, Spalding United Kingdom on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 05:54 pm:

My grandfather was a naval quartermaster in Gibraltar docks circa 1908. I have 2 glass decanters marked on the base with the War Dept broad arrow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

The broad arrow was used on all sorts of government property in Australia, not just the military. The padlock I have on my roadster running board toolbox has the arrow and the word 'electoral', presumably from a voting box.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration