Advice on Acetylene Tank

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Advice on Acetylene Tank
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 07:20 pm:

I searched the forum but couldn't find anything on this.

I have a vintage Prest-O-Lite tank on my '14 with the raised "Prest-O-Lite" lettering. The tank is full of paint drips and gobs. I want to strip it and repaint it and I'm thinking of using a silver spray paint bomb.

What have you guys used?

Thanks again for your help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 08:17 pm:

I've used a wire brush on a 4.5 side grinder. I've been told the stainless brush is less likely to produce sparks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank Harris from Long Beach, CA on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 08:40 pm:

Some welding supply stores still have those offset tanks and will exchange with you. We had one on our 13 T and installed a pressure dropping vale with a gauge to make it safe. The picture was taken on one of Frank Hoyles Arizona Shootouts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 09:49 pm:

I took my P-O-L tank outside well away from the buildings, sanded it a little, wiped it with thinner, and painted it with a spray can of Rust-O-Leum silver. It turned out nice.

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Daron - Brownsburg IN on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 10:02 pm:

I put mine in the media blast cabinet and media blasted it. Suprise! It is heavy -Copper plated and the original decal is still there and very nice.I 200 sanded tank and clear coated it.It looks great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 01:00 am:

I used a wire wheel of a side grinder, then sanded it down a little before getting out a rattle can of chrome.

Decals are available.

Often the mounting brackets are copper plated.

Here's mine:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration