Model A wheels on a 26 touring question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Model A wheels on a 26 touring question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross-Maysville, KY on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 08:50 pm:

I've found a good deal on some model A rims and tires (21"). I'm thinking of getting them to put on my 26 touring. I've got wooden wheels that need redone and I'd like to get the car on the road. I can always go back to wood later.
Question: I read in a posting from years ago that these wheels can cause the rear to "wonder". Assuming I get good adapters do you think I will have any problems?
Thanks for the input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gene french on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 09:20 pm:

rick:
I don't know of any reason that the available adapters and 21" model A wheels would give anything short of excellent service ...you indicated that your wood wheels were in need of redo ...this being the case you should also determine the condition of the rear axel thrust washers and transmission ,front end and steering systems...always an optimist...gene french

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Ross-Maysville, KY on Tuesday, April 25, 2017 - 09:26 pm:

Yes sir Gene, so far the rear end and engine are rebuilt. Waiting on the transmission. Still need to check the front end and steering. It's getting close after a longer than expected wait! Thank for the input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 01:46 pm:

Hi, Rick. My friend, Jim, now deceased, had Model A wheels on two of his Ts using the adapters available from the vendors. I drove one of these cars extensively, the other one not much, and noticed no problems. Both cars drove fine with no wandering. Only problem I could see was that a set of the adapters cost neighborhood of $400. Good luck with your project. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 01:54 pm:

I agree with the above, But will add make sure the Model A wheels are true radially and axially then you will minimize any other problems.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nevada Bob Middleton on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 11:17 pm:

No problems
Bought one set made a set even made a set to use on a TT truck all worked fine

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration