Old Photo - Brass Era - Rangitaiki Hotel New Zealand

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Brass Era - Rangitaiki Hotel New Zealand
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 10:29 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 10:47 am:

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 05:25 am:

Photo is a quite historic one-
"Ford motor car, with two passengers, parked outside the Rangitaiki Hotel. Photograph taken in 1912 during the first motor trip from Wellington to Auckland. Photograph taken by E Gillings. "

That trip was an immense undertaking as in many places no roads existed.
In about 1972 the run was commemorated by (IIRC) Pam Mclean driving over the same route as far as possible. I was with a group of enthusiasts who met her at the lunch stop in a town called Marton. A book about the journeys was produced shortly afterwards.

I have a copy of the book, unfortunately it is packed away at the moment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 05:40 am:

Here are a couple more photos from the 1912 trip-

Caption- "Ford car crossing on a makeshift bridge during the first motor trip from Wellington to Auckland in 1912. Persons and location, unidentified. Photograph taken by E Gillings."

Caption- "Model T Ford car on a King Country road outside the Rangitaiki Hotel. Photograph taken in 1912 by Ernest Gilling during the first motor trip from Wellington to Auckland, through the central North Island. "

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 07:25 am:

I'm glad Mark enlarged the hotel, now they can have more guests.

Dane, Thanks for the pictures and history. The roads look like the roads in my county. It must have been quite the social event with all the ladies watching the car in the first picture. I wonder if they took the dog with them or it just happened to appear in both pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 07:27 am:

I guess the dog is in the first, second and third photos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 08:39 am:

Wonder if the poor dog walked the entire trip! Where's PETA when you need 'em!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dane Hawley Near Melbourne Australia on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 05:37 am:

There was another reenactment in 2012/13. Information about it on this site at the time-
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/257047/318825.html?1351316974

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ivan on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 11:24 pm:

Just a small input here by way of a geographical correction. The Rangitaiki Hotel mentioned and pictured here IS on the Rangitaiki River, but is on the Central Plateau (volcanic) along the Napier-Taupo Road (SH5), not in the King Country. The Hotel was originally built as a staging post & stop-over when the stagecoaches plied the road from Napier north to Taupo and took 3-5 days to cover what is now 90 minutes by car. The 3rd photo is quite likely taken somewhere on the Napier side of the hotel as the topography is similar.
In 1912, the road would have been a moderately well established coach road although the last 40 odd miles to Taupo was still just a pumice surface up to the 1950s.
There is a Rangitikei River in the lower western side of the Island but that is not where the picture is taken.

The Hotel area is still an establishment, though not a hotel. There is a rural school nearby servicing local Farm community and "Lochinvar Station" is literally across the road. All located in a desolate area on the southern bounds of 'Kaingaroa State Forest'

(Message edited by v10pdownunder on April 29, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 05:59 am:

Ivan you are right. But so is Dane.

The car is the one used in the 'Motor Pioneers' journey from Wellington to Auckland. However, the car needed to go back to Wellington, as did the personnel as that is where the three of them lived, so they drove back! Via Hamilton, Rotorua, Taupo, Napier, the Rimutakas and on to Wellington. That was one of the two recognised Wellington-Auckland routes (the other being Hamilton, New Plymouth via the Mokau, Wanganui (ooops Whanganui!), Levin, the Paekak Hill and on to Welly).

This photo was certainly taken on the return journey. I also have another wonderful one of the car taken on the return journey, with a bunch of Maori folk near Rotorua - it was said to be the first motor car they'd ever seen. It is quite a neat photo. It will be in the book.

John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Copping on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 05:25 pm:

The broken bridge was at Oio about mid way between National Park and Taumarunui in the southern King Country. The photo of the car in the sideling cut was further north in the Waitewhena area generally between Ohura and Piopio.

Yes the photo at the Rangitaiki Hotel would have been taken on the return trip. The hotel was in use in generally the same form until the early 1970s when it was replaced by the new Rangitaiki Tavern some kilometres to the south east. The old hotel still exists in modified form as a refreshment premises and I think also offers backpacker accommodation.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Stokes on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 03:27 am:

Alan I did not know that the old building was still around! That would be worth exploring on an old car run.

I guess the large US audience on this wonderful forum becomes bamboozled by the pronunciation of such Maori place names words as Piopio. Piopio is not 'Pea-oh Pea-oh' but (think of a church seat) Pew Pew! Easy aye!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration