Old Photo - Chicago 1920 - Family Posing In A Brass Era Touring T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Old Photo - Chicago 1920 - Family Posing In A Brass Era Touring T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 10:33 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 10:51 am:

Fancy fenders

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Mc Willie on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 11:23 am:

At first, I thought the owner was going for a more modern look with aftermarket fenders. But then, thinking about Chicago, I wonder if the original fenders were damaged due to city traffic. Cars driven in a major city do not survive as well as those driven in the country. Maybe the original fenders were replaced out of necessity. It also appears that these "new" fenders are already beat up.

Richard could also just be a bad driver!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 01:02 pm:

Salt on the roads in winter could have caused the fenders to rust out. Remember almost all the saltwater is thrown by the tires onto the fenders. If there were also gravel thrown during the summer the paint would be chipped and saltwater could quickly rust out the fenders. In the past when I used to buy used cars, I found that cars from the east had a lot of undercarriage rust than those from California or the southwest desert.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 01:51 pm:

I doubt the streets were salted after snow storms in Chicago during the teens and twenties. If they were, it was probably in limited areas.

Minneapolis didn't start salting streets until 1955 when an 1873 ordinance banning salting streets was repealed. (I realize Minneapolis is not Chicago.)

In Minneapolis, most streets weren't even plowed back then. The only consistent plowing was done by the rapid transit company of their street car right of ways.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 04:01 pm:

I would like to reinstate that 1873 ordinance, state-wide. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 08:34 pm:

Derek, I'll second that motion, only nation-wide!! They use road salt here like it's free. We still had salt residue on the main highways just up until two weeks ago, it was so heavy even the rain wouldn't wash it off. And we didn't have hardly any snow this winter either. Plowed my driveway once and even then I could've let it just melt away. I wanted to play on the tractor. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 08:53 pm:

Derek:

Did you see these recent articles in the StarTribune?

http://www.startribune.com/rising-salt-levels-threaten-twin-cities-lakes-by-2050 /419088124/

http://www.startribune.com/could-brine-be-the-solution-to-minnesota-s-road-salt- problem/419744553/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 09:05 pm:

Neat picture. Tim

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration