Help ID Dust/Hub Cap. Ford Script External Threads.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Help ID Dust/Hub Cap. Ford Script External Threads.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 03:22 pm:

I have a friend in the military parts business that has a supply of these Ford script dust caps, all NOS and all painted OD green, so that is why he picked them up.
But we haven't been able to ID what vehicle they would be used for.
Obviousely a Ford, external thread leaves me and my limilited T knowledge out, they are the correct diameter for an A wire wheel, but the ones I have are not threaded for caps. This one is approx. 2 5/8" in diameter and 1 5/8" tall. None of my T hub wrenches are large enough for the outside hub.

Any direction would be greatly appreciated.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 03:28 pm:

ford truck. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 03:48 pm:

Does that mean TT? Any specific years? It's a start, I'll admit.

TO THE INTERNET!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 04:41 pm:

not tt,late 30s-40s big truck. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 04:54 pm:

Hmmmm, I was all fired up for the TT rear wheel hub. I removed the rattle can OD green and it looks like nickle underneath.

BACK TO THE INTERNET! Or, The Ford Barn.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 05:24 pm:

I think my 1931 Model AA had that hubcap.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 07:17 pm:

Looks like I'm not the only one trying to figure what this dust cap is for.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-MODEL-T-A-TRACTOR-SCREW-ON-GREASE-WHEEL-DUST-CAP-OU TSIDE-THREADS-/272264249891?hash=item3f6436c223:g:GDoAAOSwBPNXSjFg&vxp=mtr

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 09:43 am:

I'm searching for an image of one from a reputable source. Are we still leaning towards a Ford Model AA truck?

Anyone have access to one?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Fielding "Ewe-taw" on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 10:35 am:

Robert,
The early AA trucks had a worm drive rear end, similar to the TT, the first wheels were wires and had a hub cap similar to the Model A, although flat.

The next wheels were made by Firestone and Cleveweld, and used a hub cap that was nicknamed a "icecream cone".

In early 29 they went with a ring and pinion rear end and used Budd wheels that had flat centers and as a result could be dualed. Your hub cap is for this rear, problem is the rear end was used in the big trucks from late 29 to some time in the late 40's or early 50's I believe.

Hope this helps,
Kevin

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Brough on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 02:10 pm:

Outstanding! I'm trying to get registered on the AA club forum to post my photos over there. As I was reading up on AA dust caps, I was coming across different ones not only for different wheels, but for front vs rears. But, it looks like I'm on the right track.

Thanks to all.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration