Early 09 - 10 Front Fender Iron Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Early 09 - 10 Front Fender Iron Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 08:41 pm:

I posted a query in this post a few days ago:
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/748646.html?1493150428 (of which I probably should of titled better)

It seems I may have a set of early front fender irons. Would anyone (Kim, Royce?) be able to better identify?

I reposted a bit of info and the pic below.

I have two sets of early rounded underside (pre 1914 V shaped bottom) front fender irons. One on the right is just marked T343 for the factory part number, the other on the left is T343F, which I am assuming is the 'newer' ie probably the 13 set I need. You can see some differences between the two. Roddas book talks a bit about them, but the pictures are two dark to make out much detail.

Would the right T343 be the 09-10 or 11 type? It seems to be a bit thinner around the round portion before it mates with the flat area that mounts to the frame. It has a more pronounced U shaped dip in the top of this area, versus the left T343F set (see Arrow A)

Also, a difference between the two at Arrow B.

I have the right iron laying over the left iron in the picture, so the right may look a little larger in thickness because of it being closer to the camera. I can get measurements if needed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 08:57 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim Dobbins on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 02:30 pm:

The orange fender iron is early 1909, the other is mid year 1910.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 04:40 pm:

Thanks Kim. I now see the difference in the early 09.

So probably I'm looking at late 09 to early 11 one the one set I have in question.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Gould, Folsom, CA on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 08:23 pm:

I don't think your brackets are that early Benjamin. Look at Kims photos where the round part of the bracket meets the L. In both his photos, the round part meets the L part way up. On yours it meets the L at the bottom. Probably because your bracket is thicker in the round section than his. Hard to explain but easy to see if you can understand my wording.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 09:10 pm:

My right one seem to match the 10s Kim posted more than my left one does. I dont have a pic of the bracket at the right (the one in my original question) at the angle he has, but they do match very closely. I do understand what you are talking about. I couldnt tell what I had based on the pics in Rodda's book. My right one is closer to the 10 in Kim's pic at that area where the round meets the L shape, then it does on the left one. They also have that little gap between the rounded section and the L base like in the arrow B in my top pic. The orange painted one he posted is the early pre 4500 one that I was asking about before, as I havent seen a good pic of one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Benjamin Morgan - Metamora, Indiana on Wednesday, May 03, 2017 - 09:31 pm:

I got out the dial calipers.

On the right 343, I measured at the arrow A to the underside and got 1.00 and I measured the width across as if you were looking down on it and got .70

On the left 343F I measured at A and got 1.10 and the other measurement was .80.

So the set marked 343F is a tenth larger than the set just marked 343.

Kim, do you know your measurements of your early 09 iron?

Here are some overall pics pics of the 343 early set.

These are for sale as soon as I get them identified correctly, I only need one set for my 13.

(Message edited by benji on May 03, 2017)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration