Engine pull

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Engine pull
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

I'd time, did it by myself, in about 2 hours. Apparently the boy went on after the motor was in, as some oak body bits were in the way for the motor mount tabs to slide forward. It would have been easier if I could have gotten the steering column out of the way. Now that the engine is out, I might be able to figure out how to properly remove it!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 09:18 pm:

Hmm.. sorry for the double..

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 09:20 pm:

Are the motor mount dog ears supposed to be 'square?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 09:22 pm:

I know... gif you've see one of the pull, you've seen then all....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 09:26 pm:

I know... gif you've see one of the pull, you've seen then all....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 10:08 pm:

Yes, it helps if you pull the column back with the steering wheel resting on the seat. The center of gravity is between #3 and #4, so you get the best balance by attaching the chains there.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 10:20 pm:

With that little chain hook, I could change the lift center easilly.. I had to pull it uobnose first, anyway, so the pedals would clear the firewall.

I had problems with the bolts just spinning that held the lower end of the steering column, so did then pull with it in yes... it would have been a while kit easier with it out. It will be out of the way when it comes time to put it back in, though!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 10:23 pm:

Are the bolts for the lower steering column joining, 'captured' with a wood block, like the transmission mount bolts? It should be much easier to remove, with the motor gone.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 01:34 am:

The vertical bolts are installed first, then the block, then the horizontal bolt with the nut on the outside of the frame. Reverse the order for removal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Dowell in Michigan Thumb on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 04:54 am:

Dennis, sent a pm give me a call, maybe I could stop by and lend a hand. Been there done that!
Brian

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 08:44 am:

Dennis, yes there should be a wood block behind the steering arm support. Wouldn't hurt to get one of those "balancing" gizmos for your engine lift. They work great. Not expensive, looks like you rented a crane, the rental agency might have the balancer too

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 09:51 am:

Here's a steering bracket with the block installed. This one has the nut on the inside, so I don't suppose it matters which way the bolt goes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 10:35 am:

Good point on which way the bolt goes, but FWIW all my cars have the castle nut on the outside of the frame from since the time I bought them. I always figured it was so we could tell at a glance if something's going awry with the nut somehow working loose, which it shouldn't but things do happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Zachary Dillinger - Charlotte, MI on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 10:54 am:

Dennis if you need a hand getting everything back together, let me know. I live near Lansing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Dowell in Michigan Thumb on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 11:20 am:

Dennis no need to rent a lift! I'll bring one with me!
Sounds like Zachary will be there to. Just love To guy's!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 12:07 pm:

Hmm... so the block is just cut short, enough for the bolt heads going down, to clear. Easy enough.

Good deal Zach and Brian.. re-assymbly won't be until I sort out what ever issues it might have.. but appreciate any help! Primary objective is to search dor any cracks in the block! I had a split head this spring, and decided to pull abd fo tjrough so i wouldnhave a comfort zone and better understanding how everything goes together.

I'll be plinking around on it this weekend, if anyone has time..??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 01:11 pm:

Hmm... so the block is just cut short, enough for the bolt heads going down, to clear. Easy enough.

Good deal Zach and Brian.. re-assymbly won't be until I sort out what ever issues it might have.. but appreciate any help! Primary objective is to search dor any cracks in the block! I had a split head this spring, and decided to pull abd fo tjrough so i wouldnhave a comfort zone and better understanding how everything goes together.

I'll be plinking around on it this weekend, if anyone has time..??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 02:25 pm:

There is something to be said for doing some work that may not be 'necessary'... i.e. pulling the engine for a cracked head. I could have slapped another on, and been on my way.... but, as this motor has no known history (to me), I felt it was due. In the process I found the lower steering mounting was loose... and the volt holding its wood block was gone... both motor mount blocks were in 2 pieces (maybe installed that way. But were split, and not sawed), and a few either potential 'issues in the making were found. I'm sure there will be others!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration