Roadster top repair

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Roadster top repair
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Clemens on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 10:21 pm:

Is it difficult to install new pads under a 26 Roadster top?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Coco - Winchester Va. on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 06:20 am:

It's not "difficult", but it's not a slam dunk either. You have to take the top loose, front and back, and on each side, at least a few inches beyond the pad. Sometimes the pad is put on and ends up under the rear curtain, so that may have to be peeled back also.

The problems come if the top is very tight or shrunk. On a new top, you have extra material overhanging front and rear bows to pull and then tack. Taking the old top partially off (I'd leave the middle portion front and rear still attached to bows) and getting it back in place takes some patience, particularly if the top has "shrunk" to fit what may be thinner pads.

If you take the time to do this, go back with a good padding inside the pads, not foam. Assume the reason you want to do this is the pads have deteriorated? I've found that 40 ounce jute wrapped in a thin layer of cotton batting makes a great padding material.

I've been asked to replace pads on very old, or original, tops, and refuse to do so. If top material is brittle at all, you'll never get it back together properly, and will probably do more damage than good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Randy Clemens on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 06:57 am:

David, thank you. That's great information as I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into. This puts my my mind at ease. The top is in fairly good condition but it hadn't been down in a long time. The pads have deteriorated enough that when I put the top down to load the car on the trailer, they tore on the drivers side. I purchased what look to be some quality pads (no foam) but like I said above, I wasn't sure what I was getting myself into. The top seems tight so it may have shrunk a bit but the material is still very pliable.

Thanks again for the advice.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration