Tell um you're a race car driver

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Tell um you're a race car driver
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 01:49 am:

Looking for the dirty dozen are you one of them?
You can go here http://www.mccathren.com/dirtydozen/ for information. It took some extra time to workout the details between the track owner an insurance company's but the race is on.

Come and play.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 02:19 am:

Would be fun in the future.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 10:27 am:

Mike
Well done!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Bender Tulsa Oklahoma on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 06:10 pm:

Les

Thanks but Jim McCathren really gets an attaboy, as he has really been the drive behind this effort.
I know it is short notice but we hope there will be a full field.

So here is a challenge. Come and beat up on a old fat guy from Oklahoma.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jim mccathren on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 11:13 pm:

If the Dirty Dozen was a cool radiator shell contest, you would win. But, you are going to have to beat this: (which you probably will since I don't know how to drive it)the supercharged special

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Seth in Alabama on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 01:15 am:

lol I feel like my speedster is pretty quick and then I look at threads like this.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 01:31 am:

Very nice Jim. I've been thinking of something similar for the tourabout although employing a Chadwick style driven possibly off the back of the waterpump? For carburation I've got a 5H winfield and ignition a cross drive with bosch DR4 mag. Im still in the planning stage and haven't found a head yet which brings up your rajo, it looks aluminum . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jim mccathren on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 02:19 am:

Head is Aluminum from Chaffin. Not cheap but, after looking at how much work would be required to use the very few originals I found, this was a no-brainer. Nice bit of kit. Had to to a wee bit of machining at some bolt heads so everything cleared. It comes as a sand casting - I polished mine. I should have sent it to a pro for polish - way too much work with only very basic tools. I don't think you could drive a supercharger off the back of a T water pump. At least not off mine. Blower is pretty beefy. About 25 pounds. Original blower was a Gregg. A few were made for Duesenberg Racing. For a Gregg, I either rob a museum or spend the rest of my life looking and then sacrifice a kid's college education to snag it. So, I went with the next oldest domestic supercharger, a Graham. Found one in great shape from a guy cleaning out his dad's shop: $600. Steal. A few missing parts and covers were fabricated and I reversed the drive from front to back so I could drive it off the crankshaft and mount it mostly inside frame rails.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 10:16 am:

Now THAT is BAD-ASS !!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 10:17 am:

What I was thinking was along these lines . . .

As far as drive from the waterpump beefing up the shaft and then using a flex coupleing like you would for a mag. As the blower could then be mounted to the block. I haven't checked yet to see how bad the interference is between the cross drive and waterpump shaft so this may be nothing mroe than hypothetical right now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim McCluskey on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 02:50 pm:

James Starkey asked someone to post to this thread regarding his FaceBook group Ford Model T, Model A Speedsters, Cyclecars and other Marques.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/496619540483459/

Hope this helps!

Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 02:54 pm:

I dropped facebook about a year ago, it feels great now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Nicholas on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 06:47 pm:

The old #42 car is ready to race. Come see if you can out run this old fat guy.#42

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 12:21 am:

Interesting about your supercharger. I think it originally came from my father and he gave it to Tom Sumner back in the late 60's in Seattle. I think you got it from Tom's son. The shop was called "GEM" motors or Golden Era Motors in Seattle.

Tom started out in the early 50's as a sports car mechanic and at one time the Seattle dealer for the Berkley imported sports cars. In later years he did mostly repair on classic cars.

When we met him in the mid 50's he had a T brass speedster with a Rajo head and red wire wheels. In later years he drove real Auburn boat tail speedster. He still has a 1913 model t touring, a 1 cylinder 1906 Reo and a few others.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 09:09 am:

Nice rig there, Nick !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By jim mccathren on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 04:11 pm:

That would be really great if the blower was once your dad's but this one came from John Drake in Ohio who was cleaning out his dad's estate items.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 12:18 am:

Very interesting, sounds like the same scenario. The same thing happened, his son closed his fathers shop and there was a 60 year collection of interesting stuff including my fathers Graham blower.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 04:10 pm:

Nick, I really like the compactness of your cars body. You should have added some of those disc brakes on the front. Great looking car and nice room for that occupants.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 04:30 pm:

Keeping with the topic of this thread

At a recent college tech program car show we had several young 8 to 14 year old kids checking out the cars with great interest and good questions. After lots of horn honking and several pictures in the drivers seat. One young kid took an exceptional interest. I always try to take a few old Vintage Ford, Horseless Carriage and Model T Times magazines to hand out. As we talked the Kendig It and Kev Dog names came up from the Velocity TV show that we both had watched.

Knowing how big a line forms behind some of those guys at there shows. I happened to mention to him that I was a Race Car Driver in the Montana 500. Boy his eyes lit up and he looked at his Dad like he had just met Dale Jr or Jimmy Johnson. At that moment I told him I'd give my autograph on one of the magazines.
I'd almost bet that kid is still talking about that day.

Show ended with a Peoples Choice Award going home with me which is worthless but the feeling I got from showing and telling those kids about the Model T's was still Priceless!

I Agree

Tell um Your a Race Car Driver and watch their eyes light up!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 06:19 pm:

I like the speedsters because you can build enough room to drive comfortably. I am 6ft 8 so I have modified package trays and seat mounts on my model A sedan. Really cool cars.. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 06:25 pm:

Gene -- I'm not surprised at your getting the People's Choice award. Your car is really nifty. Good on you for taking an interest in the young'uns and spreading the gospel. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Carrothers Huntington Beach on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 10:04 pm:

Thanks Mike, You see so many guys bring their cars out then go sit on a chair. I've found most lookers are hesitant to ask any questions maybe don't know who to ask or if you own the car but are very interested in learning how the cars use to be.

Usually its the husband or friend that is telling them all the old stories which are wrong.

Everyone takes for granted our modern cars. Like wouldn't elect start be wonderful....lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Nick Nicholas on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 10:38 pm:

Steve, bring your race car to Texas and play with us.All day on a 1/4 mile dirt track what could be more fun than that.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration