Horse power-Photo

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Horse power-Photo
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 08:52 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 09:04 am:

two cyl maxwell. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Humphrey on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 09:09 am:

Charley, What do you mean a two cyl maxwell?? Looks like a four legged steed to me....lol

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Philip thompson on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 09:26 am:

thats a one cylinder hay burner. philip

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 09:47 am:

That wouldn't be easy. Not only does he have to drive the horse, he also has to steer the car. The shafts can't turn the wheels as they would with a solid axle and fifth wheel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 01:00 pm:

It was easier than pushing it to the repair shop!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 05:02 pm:

Right you are, Val, and for "Mr. Wilde", it was a LOT easier, since he got "B." to take his Maxwell to the repair shop for him. Wouldn't it be fun to know the whole story ? How far did "B." have to go with that rig? Why didn't Mr. Wilde take his own car to the shop? No horse? Too elderly ? What was wrong with the Maxwell? A guy could write a novel with those answers ! ;- )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 08:43 pm:

The story about my 1907 Autocar is that it spooked a horse on it's second outing causing the horse to tip over the cart it was pulling injuring the driver. The owner of the Autocar was so upset that he never drove the car again and had it towed by horse back to the barn where it sat until the early 60's. There is a hoof print in the front fender to corroborate the story. Don't know if the story is true but it makes good copy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 09:43 pm:

That would be a lot easier than the photo I have seen a couple times before on this site. In it, it would appear, that the rear end or drive line had somehow locked up. The car was being rope towed by another car, the whole rear end of the car having been lifted up and sitting on a wheelbarrow. One guy had to drive the lead car. While another steered the rear car. Meanwhile, some poor sap is hanging onto the handles of the wheelbarrow, trying to balance the whole thing, bouncing in potholes, and cannot even see what the other two guys are doing!

Wish I had a link to that one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 08:50 am:

That is one huge-ass horse! And he looks happy as can be...I can hear him now... "Told ya those contraptions weren't no good".... ha ha. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 07:04 pm:

Tim, uh, an ass x horse is a mule ! Now I'm curious, anyone know what size tires that Maxwell would have run ? Camera angle makes the horse seem big, for sure !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rick Shinta on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 11:56 pm:

That's an awful big horse .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 03:16 am:

28X3

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 03:16 am:

28X31/2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 08:38 am:

Thanks John. Extending the perspective vanishing point forward along the diameters of the car's wheels, you can estimate the horse's height at the withers is just over twice the height of the tire, not over 16 hands, probably 15 to 15h2". About average for a good, serviceable coach horse of the time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 08:48 am:

He owned his own two vehicle. Just pulled it out of the barn. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 11:24 am:

I doubt unless it's a very sharp turn there is no steering needed as the horse will turn it easily? I also think it was not a simple tow or recovery hence the fills bolted to the car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dominic Denio on Saturday, May 06, 2017 - 03:30 pm:

The Washington DC, November 4, 1909 Postmark in the lower right corner may be a clue that this is from inside the Beltway.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration