Wanted-Old useable top for "17 touring

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Wanted-Old useable top for "17 touring
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John B. Barrett on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 09:43 am:

I recently acquired my first T, a 1917 Touring car. It was kept original,( except the running gear and engine were restored. I would like to keep it original looking, but would like to replace the top,( which is gone), with a used top,as a new top wouldn't match the old paint, upholstery. Not sure if this is practical, if not let me know, otherwise if anyone has a useable old top (2 man) they would like to sell ,let me know. thanks in advance for your help. ( P.S.- this is first time I've posted on forum so hope I got it right.)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 10:15 am:

Welcome to the forum John. There are a few folks on here that have prematurely aged new fabrics to blend with the patina of the rest of the car. That could be an option if you are unable to find a used original

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John B. Barrett on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 04:44 pm:

Thanks Gary. I'll look into that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 05:34 pm:

Welcome to the forum John. I started in with my first T here in January...also with a "weathered" but very solid car.

Like you, I needed a top and wanted it to be usable and solid, but weathered to match the car.

I posted an ad in the classified section that went unanswered for a couple months but was recently answered by an awesome club member. And now I have the top I've been looking for.

So...if you haven't posted there yet, I recommend you do so.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John B. Barrett on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 12:35 pm:

Thanks Don, I haven't tried that yet. I guess I'm too late for the Vintage Ford classifieds for May/June, could shoot for July /August. But if there is an on-line classifieds, I'll try that too. thanks for your suggestion, and happy motoring. BTW-What year is your car?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Saylor, Citrus Heights, Ca on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 01:14 pm:

There is an on line classified. Just go back to the main page and click on classified at the top.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James J. Lyons III - West Virginia on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 01:35 pm:

John... I have a top that I took off my 1913. I believe it will fit your car, although it isn't 100% correct for your year. This one has a rear roll up curtain with the arched rear window and a 1917 top has a fixed curtain with three individual rectangular windows. In any event, maybe some other can comment but I believe it will fit your car. It is water-tight and is the old canvas type material. It has snaps that hook the side of the top to the bows. The flaps that hold the snaps have tears but are still connected. Otherwise, there are no holes in the top. Pic is attached of the top still on my 13. If interested, I want $125 for it plus shipping. If you are coming to Luray, I can bring it along so you can save the shipping. Let me know.1913

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John B. Barrett on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 03:11 pm:

Hi Jim, Wow! Your car looks great! And the top looks like it would fit my car as the top of the windshields look like they would be in the same spot on either the '13 or'17. If anyone who knows can comment, please do? But I'll email you directly about it Jim . Thanks very much for posting. Yeehah!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 03:35 pm:

Funny .. this is the second time I've seen people looking for less than perfect tops. I'll through my hat in the ring if anyone has a used top for a 1923 runabout.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 04:20 pm:

Papi I have a very used canvas top that I took off of my 1921 touring it did not leak but was not very pretty. We live less than two hours apart, it is yours if you want it. You will still need bows if don't have them, let me know. Brad Marble.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John B. Barrett on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 10:57 am:

Hi Brad, Jim Lyons alerted me to your post. And graciously said he'd take no offense if I went with your top.Jim's top is from a '13 and it looks like it would fit, but might not. It's also a roll -up which I like. A '21 top I think, would definitely fit a '17. Would you have any time this weekend, that I might take a drive up to you and check it out?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 03:46 pm:

John; Check your Email, I sent you a link with my cell number, give a call about this weekend.
the 1917 through 1921 are the same top and my car is an early 21, it is worth a try. Brad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John B. Barrett on Wednesday, May 10, 2017 - 11:43 am:

Thanks everyone for your help. I visited Brad this weekend and he gave me his old top, which is older but in nice condition, and, I think will work nicely. Thank you Brad. Thank you too to Jim Lyons. Don't throw out your old top Jim, someone may want it. I liked the roll-up top, but I think I'll have to go with the 3 window top. Happy motoring all, john

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration