Model T - "One of the 50 Worst Cars of All Time?"

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Model T - "One of the 50 Worst Cars of All Time?"
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 03:02 pm:

Check out this article, and the flimsy rationale for calling the Model T "One of the 50 Worst Cars of All Time" and why it is worthy of inclusion in a list of "the greatest lemons of the automotive industry." If that wasn't bad enough, they had the gall to call it "the Yugo of its day."

http://time.com/4723114/50-worst-cars-of-all-time/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 03:09 pm:

This is what happens when some liberal arts student decides to pretend to be an automotive journalist. Beverley Kimes must be spinning. If you are going to report on cars, you should actually drive them. Or at least look at one in person.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 03:17 pm:

If that guy is a "Pulitzer Prize" winning author like the article states, then I place that award right up there with the "Nobel Peace Prize".

He is about as accurate as the inventor of the internet was on "warming".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 03:32 pm:

I'll bet the fool has orange hair!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 03:47 pm:

If you happen to see the author of this article at a swap meet I suggest you follow him around and when he visits a portable toilet go around the back and tip it over.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 03:49 pm:

Fake News?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 03:50 pm:

Perhaps someone should invite them to the homecoming in June and give them the opportunity to learn about the Model T first hand and experience the fun.

Then if they still talk bad about the Model T we take them out back and kick the crap out of them!
That ought to promote the future membership growth with the organization. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 04:23 pm:

This is the kind of stuff that gets started to distort history. The so called professors in a LOT of colleges encourage their students to try to think 'another way'. When they do this is the kind of down right misleading stuff that comes out. Its been picking up in pace the last 8-10 years.

I'm afraid a lot of people don't realize how this kind of 'rewriting history' is getting to be a normal thing.

This is FAKE NEWS at its finest.

AS time goes on it will only get worse. It isn't the 1950's anymore folks and its a downright shame people don't get it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 04:23 pm:

He bemoans how "the consequences of putting every living soul on gas-powered wheels are piling up." Wanna bet that he and his significant other each enjoy the convenience of their own "gas-powered wheels?" Maybe he should forego his gas-powered wheels and walk to work or ride a horse to the grocery store. If he did that for a week or so, he might have a different perspective on all of those horrible "consequences" associated with people driving cars.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Trent Boggess on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 04:26 pm:

Actually, there were two Joseph's from Mako, Hungary who were significant in America's historical past. Joseph Pulitzer and Joseph Galamb, the later being one of the most important members of the Model T design team. Both were brilliant individuals. Statues of both of these men are on display along the main square in Mako, Hungary today.

Just because Pulitzer has an award named for him, that does not mean he had a hand in picking the winners. That was left to men of lesser talents.

Respectfully submitted,

Trent Boggess

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 04:59 pm:

The people at time magazine who wrote the article about the
Model T couldn't pour piss out of a boot with the instructions
On the heel !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 05:15 pm:

We're surrounded by edumicated idiots. And the Nobel Peace Prize doesn't impress me considering the recent recipients, one so called world leader. Let me stop before this gets political.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 06:59 pm:

I have to say that I wonder how the Nobel Peace Prize officials pick their winners. If the recent 'so called world leader?!?!' pick is any indication of how those folks think, then we in really bad shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 06:59 pm:

Geez, you guys would look a gift horse in the mouth!
I would bring a copy of this article the next time you're looking at a "T" for sale that some uninterested person inherited.

One of the worst cars ever built? That's got to knock 5k off of the asking price...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 07:08 pm:

Now that's funny Dale! :-)
These tough little s.o.b.'s being called junk? That hurt. :-(

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Wells, Hamilton Ontario on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 07:09 pm:

The guy who wrote that is well known as a negative minded idiot in the automotive press world and his opinion means nothing. The fact that he claims the T has blacksmithed body panels when original films prove that Ford had the latest in modern stamping machinery just go to show what a damn fool he is.

(Message edited by 404_not_found on April 27, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 07:34 pm:

I agree with Ken..probly has orange hair AND a pink stripe down the middle of it! That said, I wouldn't give that article a minute of my time. Not reading it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 08:46 pm:

Let's play devil's advocate for a moment ...

I won't bother reading the drivel of the "article", ... but base this
more on my own experience and those observed here on the forum.

If I did not have this old car sickness, I would have a lot more free
time. No icky old cars to work on (time), no wasted time spent out
pointlessly driving them about. I could just laze about, or work more
and sock away more dough to "meaningful" things like new vinyl fence
and siding !

I would not have a hole in my savings account "bucket" that lets all
this money escape ! Big shop = money. Cars = money. Parts = money.
Tools = money. Where does it end ?

I can only imagine how much room for "other data" I might free up in
the old grape if I wasn't jamming it full of Model T knowledge. I could
cram it full of sports statistics, celebrity birthdays and other important
"Hollywood" news. The possibilities are endless !

And the space ! All those cars and parts, tools ! Can you imagine
what you'd do with all that space and lack of expense ?! Without the
cars, who needs tools ? Without both, who needs a shop ? I could get
me a condo on the 25th floor and be free from it all !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 08:54 pm:

All too true. And furthermore they leak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 10:45 pm:

Now that I think about it, there have been a day or two that I didn't love my T very much. Thanks to those who offered encouragement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Barker - Dayton, OH on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 11:59 pm:

One thought that gives me a smile is that many of the Model Ts that this loser disparages will still be running happily down the road long after he's pushing up daisies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Vitko on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 06:48 am:

Great post Burger-----What gets me is how little most of the young I know do not understand what an incredible car a T was in its day with trails for roads little electric and fuel was bought at a drug store. They pick up interest fast after riding in one at thirty MPH though. There should be a vaccination to prevent catching the T-bug!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By gary hammond-Forest, Va on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 07:20 am:

I worked on a very large percentage of the cars on the list in my 45 year career of auto repair. Owned a few too. A new '72 Gremlin X. Great little car, tough as a boot. The Pacer had the 258 six with a Chrysler auto. Tough package. A friend owned a large wrecking yard when Chevettes were being made. He quit buying Chevettes at salvage sales because he had 300 engines he could not sell. I've owned 30+ Pintos,( I rebuilt wrecks on the side) the '71 with the 1600cc British 4 was the best balanced car. The 2000 just didn't have guts and the 2300 carb setup was a nightmare. The Yugo sold new for $2800, a discontinued Fiat from retired tooling built in you guessed it, Yugoslavia. The French cars on the list are just that, French cars....my advice is never own one. More people have burned up in Falcons, Comets and early Mustangs than the Pinto ever dreamed of. The trunk floors were the top of the gas tank. No solid divider, only the seatback between you and 16 gallons of gasoline in a split tank....The early Hondas, which mysteriously are missing from the list, were notorious for the bottom of the car rusting away in 18 months. No sealer, no inner panel coatings or undercoat. This guy is obviously Prius owning, Wall Street speech admiring kind of guy. lol Even us orange hair likers can get our own sly digs in, too...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 07:45 am:

Jeez he dug deep! It's amazing how many of the cars mentioned I've never heard of. Strikes me as a lot of tongue in cheek broadcasting. Keep 'em reading. Lack of sales for whatever reason seems to be a big factor which should have excluded the T from the list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 08:22 am:

There should be a vaccination to prevent catching the T-bug! Paul....I really don't think we'd want that type of vaccine...then there'd be no one to keep the hobby going! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Derek Kiefer - Mantorville, MN on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 08:48 am:

These lists always have the same cars on them, some which never made it past prototype stage. They write new descriptions for someone else's list, and call themselves journalists.

I'd bet this guy never even heard of several cars on this list until he read about them on someone else's "worst cars" list.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 09:31 am:

I wonder what rock this clown was under when the Model T was named the Car Of The Century?? Too bad the idiot did not do more reading and less typing!Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 09:45 am:

Derek

You're right. Not but a few years ago, this same exact article was published and the "T" world went wild. What goes around comes around. I believe this is the same exact article, republished.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 09:46 am:

Well, of course that's preposterous.

It's preposterous that someone can point at a car and designate it one of the worst cars ever built when all the present owners of that car just love it to pieces.

It's preposterous that someone can point at a car and designate it one of the worst cars ever built when, a century later, so many of them survive and remain in service that a sizable spare parts industry exists to support them—and prospers.

It's preposterous that someone can point a finger at "The Car That Put The World On Wheels," the single most influential car ever built, the car that changed the world, and say it was one of the worst cars ever built.

It's preposterous that someone can point at a car and designate it one of the worst cars ever built when it not only survived one-hundred years from the time of its original manufacture, barring catastrophic accidents, it can reasonably be expected to still be in running condition TWO-hundred years from the time of its original manufacture.

It's preposterous that someone can point at a car and designate it one of the worst cars ever built when, just for a lark, a bunch of mostly senior citizens drove fifty-four of them across the continent from New York to Seattle (the Ocean-to-Ocean Tour in the summer of 2009—which, by the way, inspired me to go out and buy my Model T Ford), and even the one that got smashed when it was rear-ended by a garbage truck at highway speed, managed to roll, under its own power, across the finish line (which you can watch at the 7:55 point in the video at bottom). _How many of the same type of car, manufactured in the 1990's, could pull that off? _Click this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yAYBD7JXbo

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Scott Conger on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 09:58 am:

And finally, a search showed this exact article published by, guess who? Time Magazine, in 2007. So much for journalistic integrity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 10:04 am:

Wow, quite the list if I don't say. I personally think he did enough to be able to offend everybody from funky little car owners, camaro owners, corvette owners, e type, electric.

Although I wonder why in 1997 the biggest draw back to an electric car was in technology and yet a Baker wasn't mentioned.

Anyways on to the point collecting T's is NOT addictive. The problem is when you get 2 or more together, they breed (this is why Ford was able to produce them so fast). Think of yourself as merely a caretaker or should I say zookeeper.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 10:38 am:

That article is almost ten years old.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/35576.html?1189471966

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/29/45687.html?1201350653

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/124326.html?1265433387

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 10:40 am:

Pretty funny write-ups on his choices for the 50 worst cars---Hes WRONG about the Model T which survives today after all of the bad things he says about it! Most of the cars he lists are long gone by now......Paul

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 10:44 am:

I guess one really has to define what GOOD car is, versus a BAD car,
in order to make up a list like this. Did this assclown provide a criteria
list for defining his "bad" cars ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 10:50 am:

List as follows
Popular=bad
Small engine=bad
Low performance engine=bad
High performance engine=bad
Electric motor=bad
Fuel consumption=bad
Fuel saving=bad
Innovative=bad
Big car=bad
Small car=bad

From what I can tell all cars are bad except his car whatever that is. Most likely a hybrid with dead batteries as there were no hybrids listed. Dead batteries because the article is old and they should have died by now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Govoni on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 10:59 am:

Well I guess I'll just have to throw it all in the trash.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 12:36 pm:

Gary's comment on French cars reminded me of the great tragedy of Canada. With all the countries that make up Canada's citizens, they could have had American Technology, British Culture, and French Cuisine. However, they ended up with British Cuisine, American Culture, and French Technology!!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Glover on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 01:03 pm:

Mr. Dewey, apparently you're not familiar with poutine, lol.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 02:51 pm:

French (?) cars ?!? Let me tell you about the '85 Renault Fuego I traded for. More aggravation than anything I've ever owned, and the only outfit that's ever left me walking, but the entertainment value of all its misadventures has been priceless !!

So far as the OP article is concerned, it's par with the state of journalism nowadays. Not only sad, but scary !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 03:22 pm:

Owned a Renault Gordini for a time back in the day.(’70’s) Was fun to drive and had plenty of pep and got good mileage. Did develop some issues and was hard to get parts for and no one liked to work on them. Like Rich, was left stranded. This was on the plains of eastern Wyoming in the middle of nowhere.

And yes this type of journalism is becoming the norm these days.

(Message edited by AzBob on April 28, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 04:15 pm:

The problem is that those people are thinking in today's mind. When the T was made it was one of the best cars ever made. True, some of the others were a bit better, but for the cost, you couldn't beat a Model T. Interestingly some years Chevrolet outsold the Model T, but how many old Chevy's have survived? The Model T needed a lot of care and was harder to drive than today's cars, but they beat a horse in both power and upkeep. You didn't need to feed a T when it was parked.

It got away from the stink and mess of manure all over the roads.

Anyway, those people don't know what they are talking about.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Thomas on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 04:19 pm:

The meathead "writer" claims to own a pushrod MGA, But in his next line claims the MGA Twin Cam as one of the worst. I Bet he just cannot afford a Twinkie, or he would know different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 05:05 pm:

I looked through the article and some of the cars are very desirable today. The Model T is still on the road and loved by most!! I would be willing to wager the person who wrote the article is most likley the guy who cant change his oil in his lawn mower. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent Pellegrini on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 06:05 pm:

Nothing like a modern car, your lucky to to get 15 years out of them before they are a rusted bucket of bolts, I bet he drives a Prius

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R.V. Anderson on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 07:25 pm:

Yep; folks the world over knew a "piece of junk" when they saw one. That's why over 15 million were sold.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration