Help ID from description, 09-10-or 11?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Help ID from description, 09-10-or 11?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 10:36 pm:

I was at the Empire Mine State historic park today and the tour docent showed us a picture of Mr. Bourne's "Model T." Well, the picture sure didn't look like a T to me, so he let me look at it closer. It's a Ford product all right, and could be a T based on the radiator shape. The hand crank is straight up, I can see three bolts for the middle body mount. The car is completely open, no windshield, and the back seat is one of the centered single-seat things. The headlamps are brass barrel-shaped(that's one thing that made me initially think it wasn't a T). The fenders are straight on top, with just a small lip to them, and I can see the rear fender has a skinny brace going straight up to the underside of the fender, so it might have butterfly braces. The sidelights are square with multiple round bonnets , about 3 I think.
Enough clues to come up with a year? I'd look it up in the encyclopedia, but I'm on dial-up--and unlike the soap, it doesn't give you a clean feeling!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Brand on Thursday, April 27, 2017 - 11:25 pm:

Hi David.

Possibly a pre #2500 T Roadster. If so it would likely have been pearl gray with black highlighting on the body. See below - is that similar (without the optional windshield)?

Any chance of getting a copy of the photo?

Andrew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 12:16 am:

Egads Andrew, I think you've got it! I didn't mention the black (or dark, it's a black and white pic)highlights on the rear fender.
I can ask the Docent, but it's likely a State of California Picture!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 12:19 am:

Oh, the one in the pic had no windshield--but they were aftermarket then weren't they?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 12:37 am:

Ah, in looking through "the Bible" I remember that the visible rear fender brace was under the fender apron, not through a hole in it, another clue that points towards very early production.
Haven't found anything yet on the crank that was straight up, not hanging down, but thought I've read about that somewhere, sometime.
The picture I looked at wasn't the cleanest print!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Brand on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 04:04 am:

Well David, you described some telling characteristics!

The catalog illustration above is a 2 lever car. The middle body bracket is the 4 bolt style. Sometime within the first 2500 cars Ford changed the center and rear body brackets to the 3 bolt style you describe.

Windshields were indeed not standard equipment at that time.

The first 2500 (approx) cars had the water pump engine which also had a mechanism to hold the crank handle upright.

Andrew

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 01:43 pm:

Tops and windshields were options, lamps were included on the early '09s runabouts that were painted light gray. After late July '09 the T's went to dark green or black perhaps.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration