Help with vintage of T's in old family photo?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Help with vintage of T's in old family photo?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Herring on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 02:23 am:

As we apply for "Century Farm" status here in Oregon, we're trying to determine when photos were taken. The farm was purchased in 1916. This is a portion of a photo, and I'm hoping you T guys can do better than I. Not much to go on, I know. Cars from the teens? 20s? And what are the clues?
Thanks, JoePair of T's - Herring Farm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 03:20 am:

Joe, the one man top on the touring car should at least give a starting date. I'm not up to speed on US cars, but believe they came in 1923.

What is "Century Farm" status? Our farm has been in the family since 1926, so we are not there yet.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 07:07 am:

Looks like both are 1923 and later cars as the windshields slant back slightly. Other than that it's hard for me to tell. very cool picture!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 08:24 am:

By the length and angle of the shadows and given Oregon's general latitude & longitude, this photo was taken August 12th, 1924 at 2:13 p.m.

(approximately...)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 08:47 am:

'23-'25 most likely.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Donnie Brown North Central Arkansas on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 09:01 am:

From what I see the cars are 1923-25. Not enough details to get it closer than that. One man top, sloping windshield, and style of fenders are the clues to the 23-25 dates.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 10:01 am:

Also the higher bead on the rear panel of the roadster to match the taller front of the redesigned turtledeck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Kiefer - Adams, MN on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 11:49 am:

dale w, the Acorns on the Oak trees look to small to be that late in the year.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 12:53 pm:

Dean, it was a dry year, smaller acorns!
:-)
Dale, Did you account for Daylight Savings time??
Although enacted during WWI, most states dropped it at the end of the war, only to bring it back during WWII, so your time may be off by an hour (either way???)!
To the Slide Rules and sundials!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brass TT on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 02:04 am:

These days you would just look up the "properties" on your jpeg. file !

As others have stated, cars are from 1923-25, but photo could be from anytime since.
Jed Clampett would have been happy driving either and he did not move to Beverly Hills till the early 60s. Perhaps Elly-May borrowed the car to go catch more 'critters' for sittin by the 'cement pond'?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Herring on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 02:30 am:

Wow, you guys are the right ones to ask! I had figured mid 20s in general, but knowing the one man top, sloping windshield, etc is awesome.

I have to wonder if the family continued driving the T's through the heart of the depression. The big old house was built in the 1850s, we think, and burned in 1940, taking most of the family photos with it.

Sister has always wondered if these were the cars with the place when purchased in 1916 - not so, we know now.

and something tells me the photo was taken on a Wednesday ;)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Herring on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 02:36 am:

Here is a photo of the house. The cars are not visible in this photo, but another photo the cars can be seen to the right, on driveway...

The Herring's house - Williamson Donation Land Claim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 10:59 am:

If some are wondering, a "Century Farm" is one that has been in the same family for 100 years or more. They would have a sign, usually next to the drive way or close to it saying that. There are still a few around but so much land has changed hands in the past years that they are getting fewer and far in between.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration