Model T Frame Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Model T Frame Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Baker on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 08:39 am:

I have a frame with no holes for battery holder. Wondering what year it may be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 08:59 am:

Before 1919 for sure. 1919 was the first year ford offered electric starting and lighting. Post some pictures and some folks here might be able to identify it with a bit more resolution.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 09:00 am:

By January 1919 closed cars were equipped with electrical equipment and a battery, so it should be earlier than that. By March 1919 the front crossmember got marked with the Ford logo, so it's likely you don't have that either.

No holes for the post brass era firewall brackets on the side of the frame makes it earlier than mid 1916. A short rear crossmember that stops at the side members makes it older than May 1913.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 09:03 am:

I bought a 21 TT that was "non electric" It had no holes in the running board brackets to mount a battery holder and no holes in the frame for the starter switch. It seemed as if they made a distinction between "electric" and "non-electric" frames.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 09:20 am:

At least from 1923 on frames were stenciled from early on in the assembly line to make sure it got correct components, like a 9 leaf rear spring for sedans.

Maybe the specification came earlier - does anyone have a 1919 non electric open car that doesn't have the battery holder holes?

See discussion on stenciled frames in this thread: http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/599638/620242.html?1457498542

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Baker on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 09:52 am:

Adding Pictures

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 11:25 am:

Look for the firewall mounting holes too. That should narrow it down a lot. I recently bought a 1917 frame, that would have only been used for two years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 04:53 pm:

Looks like a 1920 on open spool pinion bearing and a mid 1919 on under the axle wishbone in front. Front spring clamp the old style that was used up to 1921. So if all parts were from the same car, it's about 1920. Odd if there weren't any battery bracket holes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenny Baker on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 07:52 pm:

I want to thank everyone for the feedback.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 08:01 pm:

I wouldn't base the age of the frame on things such as the pinion spool and front end parts. Those often were replaced with later parts as they wore out. I don't see any holes for the later style of firewall brackets, so I'm going to say 1914-16.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andrew Beyer on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 08:09 pm:

Gavin Harris from New Zealand made up this really handy chart.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/Model_T_Frame_Identification_Chart_V 2-356806.pdf

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration