Power units

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Power units
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 09:05 am:

What is an average price for a power unit? I know there are lots of variables. Homemade VS factory frames made for that purpose. What did you pay for what? Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 11:53 am:

$300-$500

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 01:36 pm:

What do U call a "power unit"? I've been up to my ears in Model Ts since 1945 and never heard of a Model T "power unit". .... . Engine??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 01:58 pm:

Hal
I have a "factory made" 1/2 T power unit built for farm purposes. When I say factory made, this engine block, head and crank were all manufactured repetitively.
Also a Roberts marine engine
And a T engine built to power a early combine complete with a over centre industrial clutch and a extra large radiator and fan and a governor
These all seem like "power units " to me

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 02:00 pm:

You put an engine on a portable stand. It might have a flat belt pulley at the transmission so it can be used wherever needed to power things other than an automobile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 02:44 pm:

Here's mine - made from a '17 T (and a video of her in action powering a drill press):

Video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJnsN33agGg

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 03:01 pm:

About 2 years ago, I was at a tractor show and I saw a woman staring at the power unit. Finally, she turned to her husband and said: "I don't see how he'll ever get that registered. Can you imagine how dangerous that thing must be on the roads?"

The power unit gets more attention at shows than anything else and I get requests constantly to start it. I pull mine around with one of the doodlebugs:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron in Central Massachusetts on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 03:09 pm:

Sears and Montgomery Ward sold kits to build your own. Here's one made from a kit:

And here's a video of a "factory made" one (made by Ersted Machinery Manufacturing Company of Portland, Oregon):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPOcuEgvWJw

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration