Model TT Trucks

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Model TT Trucks
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom van der Vyver on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 04:23 pm:

I recently purchased the remains of 2 Model TT Trucks in South Africa. Both have Ruckstell axles. I notice that the the Ruckstell shifter on the axles are different. How did the design change over the years? I started the rebuild on the one truck 2 weeks ago. I have a 1923 Canadian engine and decided to rebuild the one chassis as a 1923 (High hood). The other chassis will be built up at a later stage.
The pile of rusty bits!The rebuild in progress.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert G. Hester Jr., Riverview, FL on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 05:10 pm:

Hello, Tom. Let me be first to welcome you to the affliction. Model Ts will grow on you, and often multiply. You are now warned. :-) Check your two rear axles for ratio. They should be either 5 1/6:1 or 7 1/4:1. You will probably want to use the 5 1/6 as it will give you a slightly faster cruising speed. The Ruckstell is underdrive only and will not help with top speed. Good luck with your restoration. Your photo looks like you've already made a good start. Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brass TT on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 07:10 pm:

From experience, most TT owners do not use their trucks for carrying much in the way of loads, mostly running light. If this is your intent, I would suggest reducing rear spring to 4 or 3 leaves, fitting teflon sheet between them and filling the space of missing leaves with a square block of steel. It will help with the ride quite a bit as it will allow the spring to "work".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 07:52 pm:

Pictures of the shifters would help us to identify them. On cars, the shifters changed to a longer style for the '26-7 (approx) models. I don't know whether there was a similar change on the trucks. BTW, your high hood vehicle would be a '24, not a '23. That is a high hood firewall shown in your pic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 08:11 pm:

The "long nose" shifter is the later one and was probably initiated at the same time as the ones for the car. The earlier version is the stubby, short shifter housing which evolved over the years from bronze to cast. The long nose shifter is the more desirable one and gives a more positive shift compared to the short shifter.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Justin H. - Western PA on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 08:26 pm:

Early Hall Scott short shifter

Later steel short shifter

Long nose shifter (what I use)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom van der Vyver on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 01:19 am:

Thank you for all the replies and advice! Bob, my affliction to the Model T has already multiplied a few times!
I purchased my 23 Tourer in 1999, then my 1914 Runabout in 2009 and I am also 80% through the restoration of my 1918 Left hand drive Runabout.
Pictures on the shifters on my TT axles to follow shortly. Regards Tom1914

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom van der Vyver on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 04:31 am:

Here are the pics of the Ruckstell shifters.Long NoseShort

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom van der Vyver on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 12:27 pm:

Progress on My TT!

Progress

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 01:53 pm:

Looking good Tom! The steering wheel is on the wrong side tho.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Tuesday, May 09, 2017 - 08:30 pm:

Holy moley!
That's progress!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom van der Vyver on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 01:02 pm:

The cab is nearly done!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 01:10 pm:

Like! :-O

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Hoshield; Oak Park MI on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 01:19 pm:

These short shifters are a new device for me... I've not seen or heard of them. We're they only used on TTs and auxiliary transmissions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 01:55 pm:

Tom, the high hood is a 1924 feature. But if you go by the engine and call it a 1923, the correct police probably won't bother you. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Blancard, Fredericksburg Va on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 03:14 pm:

Dallas - steering wheel fixed!
tT

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom van der Vyver on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 03:25 pm:

Yes, the 1923-1924 models is a sensitive issue. My "1923" Tourer has the high hood and the engine number dates it as May 1923. The engine that I am using in the Truck is September 1923. All are Canadian. All very confusing! Then there is the fiscal year from August to July to take into consideration as well!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 08:09 pm:

Thanks Steve B. Now Im not confused. Well about that!
Drive safe and often

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 08:36 pm:

Cool project. Gonna be a great TT. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brass TT on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 11:19 pm:

"Dennis Hoshfield" - Read the thread and your questions will be answered.

In fact, look at Mark Strange's thread "Betsy gets her Ruckstell" and see for yourself.

(Message edited by Brass TT on May 12, 2017)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, May 13, 2017 - 09:35 am:

According to the MTFCA Ruckstell book, the "short" shifter, part P158A, is the earlier and more common of the two designs. The "long" shifter, part P158C, was used in later production.

They are physically interchangeable, but I have heard that the "long" shifter has the potential to work better. Stan Howe or Glen Chaffin can comment further if they wish. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom van der Vyver on Saturday, June 03, 2017 - 01:00 pm:

Progress to date. Busy with engine and transmission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom van der Vyver on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 03:35 pm:

Engine and transmission fitted.Preparation for painting.

Engine and transmission fitted. Preparing the Cab for painting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 04:49 pm:

Looking good Tom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Wednesday, August 23, 2017 - 11:22 pm:

Uh Huh!
Itchin' to see the final color. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom van der Vyver on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 03:55 am:

Chassis and CAb painted. Now for polish and final assembly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 08:09 pm:

Holy moley! That's gorgeous!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, October 05, 2017 - 08:14 pm:

Duey said a mouth full. That is awesome . What wood did you use for the bed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom van der Vyver on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 01:18 am:

I used local Meranti.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 04:59 am:

Lovely work Tom. Your truck will be a beauty. What brand of tyres are they? I hope they are better than the usual offering ex Viet Nam.

In Australia, meranti is an imported timber from Malaya or the tropical island nations to the
north.It is somewhat of a generic name for a number of similar species. Does your local stuff come from the Congo?

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom van der Vyver on Friday, October 06, 2017 - 06:02 am:

Allan, I have no idea where the Meranti came from originally, I got it from our local timber merchant.
The front tyres are the old Dunlop Cords from my 23 Tourer. The rear tyres are retreads that came with he truck. They must be 30 years old! They must do for now! Regards Tom.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom van der Vyver on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 10:47 am:

A bit more progress!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, October 15, 2017 - 12:30 pm:

Looking good !

Where did you procure those front tires ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom van der Vyver on Friday, October 20, 2017 - 11:40 am:

Rad and hood fitted. Now for final painting.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration