Help Model T and Model A starter compatibility

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Help Model T and Model A starter compatibility
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 04:23 pm:

I need to get a Model T starter rebuilt this weekend

My local guy says too many parts shot. I have an extra T starter I am taking down with a slightly bent shaft for parts. QUESTION I also have 2 Model A starters rebuilt in great shape Can any of The Model A parts be used in a Model T starter??? Except of course the Model A foot starter switch!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 05:14 pm:

pretty much no

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 05:15 pm:

Send it to Coil Man- pretty sure he won't say the same thing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 05:26 pm:

David,

I don't know about which parts will interchange between the T & A starters. Snyders did show the 5/16 starter drive bolt washers listed with the T part number. Note there was also a 3/8 inch part for the starter drive which is Model A only. The rest that I saw were listed with the A part number only, so I cannot easily cross reference them.

But, if you are in normal health (no back, joint etc issues and no heart issues etc) and the T has a normal to only a little higher compression engine, then hand cranking the T is not that hard. If you don't obtain the parts you need, you could put the starter back on (leave the bendix off if you are going to have to pull it back off ) or find a block off plate (I think a flat piece of metal will work with the holes drilled in the proper location.

If it is only for one weekend it should get you by.

You could also just take the A starters to the rebuilder who is working on your T starter and they can probably tell by looking at them which other parts might work.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 05:31 pm:

Nope

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 06:13 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Shirley on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 07:22 pm:

I got to ask,how in the cornbread he!!, dose the drive gear keep turning all the time?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 07:36 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Tillstrom 30 miles N of Memphis TN on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 07:44 pm:

That looks like a skytek starter. I'm guessing it's 12 volt?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil McKay on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 09:13 pm:

...seems to be a European thing. See Maver profile and the following: https://www.ccw-tools.com/WOSP-LMS256---Model-T-Reduction-Gear-Starter-Motor__p- 34517.aspx

Image in ad is not the long nosed Model T version.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 09:21 pm:

WOSP LMS256 - Model T Reduction Gear Starter Motor
Home Product Details Customer Reviews
Large View

This unit is based on a 1.4kW Long Nose Denso starter motor which has been modified to suit this particular application.

All of our starter motors are 100% brand new and are built to the highest standards to withstand the rigours of all forms of motoring including Road, Race & Rallying.

Each unit is a direct replacement for the original starter motor and weighs less than the original with 2 - 3 time the power output.

Every Denso starter motor mounts in a unique circular stepped register which enables it to be spun 360 degrees on its own axis with ease giving the unit an infinite number of mounting positions.
Please note, if you require a multi-drilled end plate to enable the motor to be mounted in different locations please let us know at the time of ordering and we can supply these at no additional cost.

The image shown is for illustration purposes only.

Application: Model T Reduction Gear Starter Motor
Parts No #: LMS256
Type: Denso
Power (Kw): 1.4KW

Compare Products

FREE UK Mainland delivery on orders over 75

UK Mainland individual delivery cost - FREE

Weight 3.5 kg
RRP 524.40
Our Price (Inc VAT)
Ex VAT 394.50
You Save 51.00!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 10:07 pm:

About the only thing on a Model A starter that will fit the T starter MIGHT be the early small diameter shaft starter drive.
Hand crank the thing for the weekend!
Oh, and find someone more proficient at rebuilding!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By n maver on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 07:38 am:

The starting motors pictured above are getting produced by Neil Tuckett I just took the photographs

http://www.modeltford.co.uk/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 09:53 am:

Model T & A starters both share a voracious appetite for 6-8 volts, but that's about it!

That Limey starter is an interesting development.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 12:32 pm:

Sure would like to read an explanation of how it works. Can't imagine, as Bob Shirley mentioned, how that little pinion could work if constantly engaged (as there is no bendix), and that long and narrow neck, which appears to be aluminum, doesn't look very "stout" to me. Anybody know more about this starter?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 01:35 pm:

Thank you all for all the info. I found two other spare Model T starters in the barn. I have enough parts to make one good one !!! Never throw away ANY Model T part. You may need it in 10 years !!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Kriegel Mishawaka Indiana on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 01:37 pm:

And yees the local experts agree no parts useable from Model A to Model T starter although they sure look alike from the outside !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 01:44 pm:

I was going to post what dale w did re 6-8 volts. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration