Using bands marked GM

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Using bands marked GM
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 05:30 pm:

Here are some GM quick change bands I pulled from the engine on my '23 runabout. I assume they worked fine if they were being used by the last person who drove the car. I did see an earlier post mentioning they were hard to change quickly. I'm assuming that if I remove the hogs head to change them it doesn't make any difference. Anyone out there have experiences with these. They are nicely constructed.

Bands

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 06:20 pm:

Mark, Compare them to another Ford band.

They are a little bit longer, about 1/4 or 3/8th inch and will not tighten up enough to use, if they are like the ones I had.

I was told they were used in the late 1940 era automatic GM transmissions, but I have no proof.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 06:46 pm:

There may be truth to the parts (almost) interchange with a Generous Motors automatic, funny how some Model T retrofits become more obsolete than the original T parts ! Over 40 years ago, I recall hearing that some T guys were using early Buick Dynaflow bands, but I think they had to rivet Model T "ears" on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 06:50 pm:

Well, having them longer isn't a good thing given the drums will be slightly smaller. Guess I'll use the Ford slotted ones I have.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 09:35 pm:

I think those are after market Model T transmission bands. I don't believe they are for an earl Hydramatic.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Derocher on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 10:24 pm:

As James said, compare them to a ford set, may have been an aftermarket item that would work, sure looks like the GM General Motors stamp though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 10:57 pm:

Believe those aftermarket bands were made by the George McBride Co., Boston. Have seen adv. for wood lined bands, and for a hinged band too, with reliner by McBride Company.

The mark G.M. Co. seems like it would be McBride's bands of later date, to compete with other demountable bands.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 10:59 pm:

"G M CO" might be short for Gemco, a company that made a number of automobile accessories including accessories for Model T Fords.

From the 1916 Gemco catalog in my library:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Friday, April 28, 2017 - 11:17 pm:

I searched Mcbride bands Ford in Google books and this is what I found for George W. McBride Co.:

From 1920:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration