WAY O.T.! Overland 91 Baby #48 ignition key question...

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: WAY O.T.! Overland 91 Baby #48 ignition key question...
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 01:43 am:

So the buddy FINALLY gets himself a running Overland! A '23 Baby 91 Touring in its original(ish) semi-molested clothes.
It needs a wash and some Penetrol Flood. Thanks Don!
Yeah, he's even more different than you folks liking Overland's although he has a '25 TT. I'd bet he's been waiting for this for 20 years.
Folks back then were pretty small, especially Overland drivers. My very few T's all have tons more room even if quite cramped!
(My wife is 5' 6" and would have no problem in there IF she remembers how to use a clutch. Not. But we used to have a four speed J-2000 Cavalier and she loved it until it left her on the side of the road.)
I can't wait to cram myself in there again and drive that goofy little car! I think he and I both need a couple telephone books to sit on!
It's obvious I'm VERY happy for my ol' friend.

OK, back to the off topic question. The ignition key is long gone.
Number 48 key for a typical electric era model T ignition and lighting switch (B&S?). It's the same set of switches up on the dash as our T's.
Dopey me! I thought I'd order one for him out of the catalog but no. T keys start at number 51.
Any thoughts on who The Overland Key Guy is or who to bother with a key request?
You know the reason why I ask here. You folks are a massive database of knowledge for the old car world and one or more of you may know the answer.

Keith's Baby 91

Yes, I asked on the Willys Overland site and a nice fella mentioned The Key Guy. I say they're very tight lipped about info as I do not belong there but still I wonder if I belong here!
The little pile of crap is pretty cute Yes?
Keith's Baby 2

Yes, I know. It has that goofy "stick" sticking out of the floorboards. Cripes, it's darned near a model A except for the accelerator pedal. A's are terribly cramped too. Hah! An Overland foot feed is BETWEEN the bake and clutch pedals! See it? There's a block that makes it easier to use. You have a clue what I'm babbling about?
Would you help with the key request?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Spaziano, Bellflower, CA. on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 01:56 am:

Looks like a typical Clum ignition switch to me. Dodge Brothers used a Clum switch, but I think the number range was different.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 01:59 am:

I had an Overland 91 I was going to restore and it had a weird key. I bought the switch without a key and found a picture of the key on the internet somewhere so I knew what it looked like. I was going through a bunch of old keys at a flea market and couldn't believe it, there was one for $1. I sold the switch and key, but here is what it looked like to the best of my memory. The switch looks about like a T switch.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 09:42 am:

Duey:

I saw that car in Craigslist and sent the following information to the seller.

Pioneer Minnesota license plate #1025 was originally registered to Krautbauer Oil Company in Waconia, MN.

Minnesota started issuing Pioneer plates with number one in 1953. Based on the number, my guess is that your plate was issued in the late 1950s.

With the above information it may be possible to trace the history of the car further back. There are still a number of Krautbauers in Waconia so just making a few phone calls might yield some additional information regarding the history of the car.

Also - there's a restored 1924 Overland Model 91 in Andover, MN. It was a really nice, unrestored original car - too nice to restore in my opinion - but the owner decided to restore it anyway. See photos below:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 10:09 am:

I like old cars in general, I like Overlands, Dodges and even Chevrolets among them. I like this car! :-)
maybe this ebay seller can help;
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ignition-Switch-KEY-49-from-Briggs-Stratton-Series-31-54 -1920s-Vintage-/262534147846?fits=Model%3AOverland+Light+Four&hash=item3d20412f0 6:g:shoAAOSwMsVXjnYm&vxp=mtr
Other suggestion is to get a Model T tumbler and install. The clum type switch tumblers from what I have seen look very similar and may mount the same. The whole switch come up on ebay every so often, the ones that are round and have dim-off-on printed on them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 06:51 pm:

The switch manufacturers made a LOT of switches...
D-B too? That makes sense about the numbers Mike, thank you! Some where below 51 for Overland (48 in this case), 51-74? for Ford. I wonder where D-B's range was... more stuff to make sense of.
Plus the different manufacturers and key styles... :-)
Corey, now that's a different key. Wait, that's a B&S key (Strattec nowadays)? Cool! SO different from the few switches I have here.
The Overland guys talk of B&S switches exclusively it seems.
Plate #1025; I'm thankful you typed it out here too! Did he respond back? Nice enough guy around 40. He sure didn't want to give it up. Leo fit perfect in that car.
Hehehe! I wonder if the buddy got all that from the seller too?
Dave's '24 is a beauty but you are quite correct, it WAS a thing of REAL beauty too. Wow. Thank you Erik!
Mark, that link is gold to me! You surely hit me on the head so I'd go "Well duh, Duane."... Why not? These switches are only riveted together. Thank you!
Thank you guys. :-) And more study for me. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 07:16 pm:

Duane, it is black. How do you make it go with only two pedals on the floor? What a nice car. The key is to find a key? Wish I could help but good luck.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 07:36 pm:

Duey: Have you tried to contact Douglas Vogel in Dexter MI? He is at Hershey each year and is very helpful for Ford and other old locks. dvogelauto(at)aol(dot)com jb

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 07:38 pm:

Hahahaha! That's funny Dallas! :-) Well that left pedal; ya gotta push it all the way to floor to stop the darn thing. I don't get it. ;-)
Hah! The two levers up on the column that WE RELY on don't work on this car... Yet.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 08:30 pm:

JB, no sir I have not. Thank you very much and I'll give Douglas a shout at his email! Thank you! :-)
We was typing at the same time Jim.
Funky; 35 years ago, I knew and worked with a fellow around here named Jim Bartz. My dad (Don) called him JB. Good guy too. Your name always throws me. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A Bartsch on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 10:12 pm:

Duey: there were Bartz folk in central Wisconsin where I came from, fwiw, jb,,,And on the switch and key deal, I bought a like new ignition switch at Hershey that is very similar to model T but is keyed to a B&S #42. The back of the switch has a coil of fine wire about the size of a pencil eraser across two terminals and a small cartridge fuse holder riveted to one terminal,,, again, fwiw,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 10:54 pm:

Interesting. Thanks JB!
Aha! The dimmer?
Level 42 for those that remember.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 12:09 am:

Try Jarvis old car lock and key. He has a zillion locks and key blanks. Very reasonable and quick response. 425-776-2804.

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 12:12 am:

I have a model 90 original sprint car with the same suspension. It's quite a fast little racer

just sayin'

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 04:15 pm:

What. And you don't show us a pic of the sprint car. Hehehe! Just joshin' ya. :-)
Thank you for the contact!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Friday, May 12, 2017 - 08:15 pm:

I figure a few might care about this and I need to put this thread to bed and to give thanks to this forum. :-)
The parts book apparently shows that the '23 Baby 91 should have a Clum switch but with a couple pics including model T keys that kinda fit, it was determined to have the B&S switch.
I haven't logged in to ebay for a long time so I went to the next suggestion of D Vogel auto.

The key arrived yester in the mail, texted my friend, he calls back that he's 10 minutes out with his grandson... Nice visit, the little boy played etc.
Darned little boy wouldn't get down from his grandpa, he finally got comfortable with us and then Keith had a heck of time to get him back in the truck to go eat.

key1

key2

He called me just after noon today, said he put the key in and it turned! Awesome! It works! Then he lipped off that the switch is prob'ly shot. :-)

Thank you mtfca! Thank you guys! I do appreciate this!
He does too!

p.s. John Stokes, if you see this, his crap sleeve engined "cut up" sedan/pickup is a '31? 66D and I'll get some pics up Over there if you'd like. :-)
:-) Thank you!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration