17" Steering Wheel - request advice

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: 17" Steering Wheel - request advice
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Fedak on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 10:29 am:

Hello. Would appreciate it to learn how to restore an original "rubber rim" on Ford's steering wheel. The one I have is un-cracked and straight but faint black ends up on one's hands if you rub it. Plus, it could stand a wet sand, I suppose, due to a little surface roughness. I've seen examples that are coated in spar varnish to preserve them, but I don't want to do the wrong thing, so am asking for assistance. This is too nice to replace, for sure.

Also, the cast spider is affixed with square slot allen head screws and is stamped: "Ford - T-902-D2" with a forge stamp of "A" with a circle around it. Anyone have any knowledge for year of manufacture or whether this was standard equipment or an option?

Thanks for any assistance and have a great day! Bill
17" Steering Wheel17" Spider Detail

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 10:35 am:

From years of reading the forum, those are called "Robertson screws" and are original on Canadian built cars.

Regarding treatment and protection of "Fordite" rims, see these older posts:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/200802.html?1301454438

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/247579.html?1321499600

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Fedak on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 12:23 pm:

Mark - thanks for the info and great advice. The old forum links are all I need to know what to do. Thanks again.

Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steven Thum on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 02:49 pm:

Robertson screws are used heavily in the RV industry. Any hardware store will have the bit to fit that screw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 06:07 pm:

Fordite is a soybean based plastic, I don't think it will rub off black on your hands. I have and have seen more, a hard rubber rim that does come off on your hands. I think the hard rubber rims are after market. I just painted mine black.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 06:14 pm:

I sand the wheel with very fine wet or dry, and finish up with 1500. Then I wax the hell out of it. I don't recommend painting, because it takes away from the original appearance.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration