Question about a tool?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Question about a tool?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 03:09 pm:

Has anyone here used one of the Pressure testing plates that one of the vendors sells. Part # T3000-X Any idea if the rubber coating holds up on them? If you do not want to post here, PM me. I am looking to get one. Thanks, Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 07:50 pm:

Dan a lower cost way is to just use a 1/4" thick sheet of rubber type material. Punch out the bolt holes and use the head to hold on. The plate for the gauge and hose connection can be made out of 3/16 plate material and mounted to the water inlet.

We have one at the shop made for Model A's, it's been in use for a number of years.

You are only working with a few LBs of air anyway. For looking for cracks in the cylinders, turn the block on it's top or side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 01:16 pm:

No one here has one of these?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 01:32 pm:

What is a "pressure testing plate"? Are we talking about a compression guage for testing cylinder compression?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 01:41 pm:

O.K.....I'm just a little bit more "dense" than usual this morning I guess. In re-reading and considering Mark's post, it sounds like a device to pressure test the engine block for water jacket cracks and such in the engine block,....sorry,.....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 01:46 pm:

I made my own

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 10:16 pm:

Here is link to the tool in question.
http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/model-t-block-testing-kit

Andy: I was wondering how the rubber coating would hold up on these. What do you use to seal the plate? Did you put cut outs for the valves like this one? Thanks, Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 07:53 am:

I have one for A's and one for T's. I use both extensively and will never have another block magnafluxed. I have had blocks checked with magnaflux that showed cracks that turned out to be scratches under pressure. If a block don't show a leak at 40# pressure it won't leak.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Michael Rogers on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 07:56 am:

I also use mine with a vaccuum pump to make small repairs on blocks that have small exterior cracks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Andy Loso St Joseph, MN on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 11:48 am:

Dan,

I have cutouts for the valves and pistons, but I generally just have a bare block anyways. I use a head gasket. I don't know how much air I use, don't have a gauge in line. Too much will pop the frost plugs. I pressurize it and spray the block down with soapy water and look for any bubbles, hasn't failed me in last 12 or so rebuilds.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration