OT: How my Model T saved me $

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: OT: How my Model T saved me $
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 06:04 pm:

So my washing machine bearings went out. My recent Model T rebuild gave me the courage to change the bearings. It is major surgery. Looks like a jet engine. Video makes it look easy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WmYs3wwXXIE

Did it. Works! So far :-) Saved me a bunch of money on a new washer.

Washing machine inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 06:09 pm:

Was it the thrust " WASHER"?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Mosher on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 06:24 pm:

Isn't You Tube a great site. Or should I say thank god for You Tube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 06:38 pm:

Dallas: Snort, snort! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve in Tennessee on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 07:01 pm:

Mine has saved me a fortune. Its so much cheaper than the 35 Auburn 851 I really wanted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 07:09 pm:

Good grief...doesn't look like that old of a washer to have the bearings go out already! What make, what year?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 07:16 pm:

And the Doble or Stanley I wanted! :-)
I still have, though we don't use it now, a 1950s Speed Queen Washing machine. It came out of the family's resort's laundromat. I grew up repairing it, and knew it inside and out. Parts were available and common, and durable except for the fluid clutch that drives the spin cycle.That was the Achilles heel of that machine, and never could figure out what was wrong with them, so just replaced them (heck, only two moving parts and the hydraulic fluid--what could go wrong?). When we moved into our first home in Oroville,in 1982, I brought it down (my Brother went to leased machines) and completely rebuilt it, new bearings all new seals, repainted everything--it was beautiful! I think all the parts were under $100. It thought it had retired, after all, the two of us using it for a year was like two weeks' use when it was in the laundromat. Well, the fluid clutch gave out,about 2001 and that's when I found out that all those parts were now discontinued and made of "Unobtainium." Speed Queen finally changed their design (probably got taken over by some big conglomerate). Maybe it was a "centennial" thing??
So now we have a "modern" (it's probably 12 years old now) machine, I have learned how to change the belts on it though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 07:25 pm:

And the Doble or Stanley I wanted! :-)
I still have, though we don't use it now, a 1950s Speed Queen Washing machine. It came out of the family's resort's laundromat. I grew up repairing it, and knew it inside and out. Parts were available and common, and durable except for the fluid clutch that drives the spin cycle.That was the Achilles heel of that machine, and never could figure out what was wrong with them, so just replaced them (heck, only two moving parts and the hydraulic fluid--what could go wrong?). When we moved into our first home in Oroville,in 1982, I brought it down (my Brother went to leased machines) and completely rebuilt it, new bearings all new seals, repainted everything--it was beautiful! I think all the parts were under $100. It thought it had retired, after all, the two of us using it for a year was like two weeks' use when it was in the laundromat. Well, the fluid clutch gave out,about 2001 and that's when I found out that all those parts were now discontinued and made of "Unobtainium." Speed Queen finally changed their design (probably got taken over by some big conglomerate). Maybe it was a "centennial" thing??
So now we have a "modern" (it's probably 12 years old now) machine, I have learned how to change the belts on it though.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 07:30 pm:

Sorry, double-post and dial-up is too slow for me to delete the extra posting. ARRG!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 08:22 pm:

Forty years of marriage. Bought our first new washer and used dryer first year. Now on our third washer, and second dryer (bought new about 25 years ago). Each has required major repair a few times. The "new" dryer (a major known reliable make) failed the first time when the bushings and jack-shaft seized at about seven years old. The poor design of the jack-shaft caused the patch/repairs to fail a couple more times. Finally, I redesigned the thing and made it all myself. That was about fifteen years ago, and other than one other failure, hasn't been apart since.
Learning HOW things work, and how to work on them, can save you a bunch of money.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 08:56 pm:

That's cool! Dryers I'll work on. The old dryer drum ran on bushings installed on the support wheels for years.
Washers? That's another story. The new one is computer controlled and we don't like it. Damn thing has a mind of its own...
Holy crap! Look at the extension on that ratchet! I have NEVER seen an extension like that before! Wow.
Funny how it all works out ain't it Ignacio? I've been fixing everything around here for a coon's age and yet it was you folks that spurred me on to do the rear axle on the '18 T and now have the confidence to do it again on Ted AND my old Crappy T. Interesting!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Freighter Jim on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 09:52 pm:

That image reminds me ....

When I was newly married many years ago in Flagstaff, AZ ....

We had a front load combination washer dryer - full size - ran fine.

I thought I could get it to dry faster by disassembling it to clean the lint from the drum - it looked like that when I took it apart - then I could not put it back together again - ruined something perfectly fine ...

Freighter Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 10:49 pm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hx5PwZeTEq4

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 11:16 pm:

Steve, that was great! My T's rattles and vibrations will go ignored after watching that. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Constantine on Saturday, April 29, 2017 - 11:27 pm:

That grey rubber seal seems to be turning brown...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 10:53 am:

A few years ago, I replaced the transmission in our old Whirlpool washing machine thanks to tutorials on YouTube. It was a Dickens of a job, but got 'er done!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 11:59 am:

Duey you can get mega ratchet extensions like that from harbor freight for $20 or less for a multi pack. When you have them you use them and every project is a chance to buy a new tool. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Noel D. Chicoine, MD, Pierre, SD on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 01:12 pm:

we had a front loading washer about 5 years ago that went bad from bad engineering. The tub was stainless steel and had an aluminum plate on the back to hold it to the gears. When submerged in electrolyte (soapy water) the dis-similar metals caused the aluminum to honeycomb and break apart. You couldn't just buy the replacement aluminum but had to buy the entire tub assembly, nearly the cost of a new unit!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ignacio Valdes on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 02:28 pm:

The washer above is an LG which I have had for about 10 years. It started making a lot of noise when spinning. When I opened it up the bearings had puked their grease so it was obvious what was wrong. The bearings and seal cost about $80. A new one cost $770 before taxes. Then there is the cost to make a dollar so it was worth about $1k to fix it. The old bearings are tough to get out. Have to pound them out with all manner of tools and wood. Now I can buy more model t stuff with the 'profit'. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 02:29 pm:

They can have those stupid front loaders..I'll stick to the good old fashioned top loading type. And one with the least bells & whistles! Just more to go wrong.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 05:20 pm:

If you have parts left over you did it correctly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 05:55 pm:

Tim,us to we buy the plain Jane washers and dryers. My brother bought top of the line Maytag at the end of the warranty his stopped working and need a new computer module @ $800. He sold them on craIgslist and bought what we have and hasn't had a issue in the last 5 years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 08:02 pm:

Tim...funny you mention that. I neglected to include a similar issue in my post above, and even though indeed it is a top-loader, I thought what the heck, let's go "all out" and buy the top of the line also! What a mistake! That's why I said next one will be the plainest, ugliest, most bottom feeder one offered! This stupid washer has had to have the repairman out 3 times in as many years. The company apparently felt sorry for us, as we did buy the 5 year "extended service plan", but they gave us an additional 5 years!! By then it'll probably be DOA, then I'll go back to the basics!
The other Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 07:58 am:

This is the most trouble free washer I've seen

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration