Piston Ring Groove Holes?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Piston Ring Groove Holes?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 09:36 am:

Going through some Ford iron pistons and found a set with holes drilled in the second ring groove. Another set has holes in the oil groove and another has no holes at all. Anyone have info on these holes?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 11:03 am:

I believe they are for any oil which gets into the ring groove to drain back into the crankcase rather than be drawn into the cylinder.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Pat Kelly Montana on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 11:24 am:

Thanks for the reply Norm. I've seen this on modern piston oil ring grooves but the holes in the second ring groove is new to me.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 01:01 pm:

Early T pistons have no holes. Later T production had the oil groove holes added.
I suspect your pistons with holes in second groove were modified by an owner to try to reduce oil consumption and smoking due to worn rings/pistons.
They did a lot of stuff in the days of cheap labor and no money. My father used to tell about getting a few more miles out of a Chevrolet by stripping the pistons and setting them on a steel plate. Just the right strike on top with a ball peen hammer and the cast iron pistons would deform enough to tighten the wrist pin and swell the outside diameter to fit the cylinder bore better.
Too much and you cracked the piston! There was an experienced " mechanics feel" involved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 05:46 pm:

Holes drilled behind the second ring would have only made it worse not better for oil consumption, rings need oil behind them in order to assist in ring to bore pressure for compression seal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 05:59 pm:

View of holes in Ford iron piston.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration