Painting license plates

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Painting license plates
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George schmidt on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 11:57 am:

I'm looking for someone to repaint a pair of license plates. Any
Direction would be appreciated .
I found the colors to be simple, black and white.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles W. Little South Paris, Maine on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 12:22 pm:

Wells Duane <michplates@comcast.net>

Does excellent work!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charles W. Little South Paris, Maine on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 12:26 pm:

More info.

Duane Wells
1621 Craig St.
Lansing, MI 48906
517-371-3225
Thanks, Duane

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 12:36 pm:

Get some good paint, like "One Shot" lettering enamel and go to a craft store and get a small, tightly napped cotton or foam rubber paint roller or a GOOD quality 1/4 inch paint brush.
Experiment with something like popsicle sticks glued to a board to get the feel of just coating the tops of the sticks without contacting the board base, while still covering the sticks.
Despite much practice, be prepared to mess up at least once!
A quick perusal of the restored plates at a show versus the originals in the swap-meet area will tell you that lotsa folks over-restore them. They weren't perfectly sprayed, lettered by a pinstriper, wet sanded and clear-coated. They had runs, the highlighting paint tended to sag in whatever direction the wet plates were hung or racked in whatever prison workshop they were made in and they were done as fast as humanly possible.

You are starting out with a very nice pair of plates there and they will turn out just fine if you take your time, get comfortable, put on some good music and enjoy the challenge!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 12:38 pm:

Oh, misread it, you want someone else to do it- Yeah, Duane is good......

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Menzies on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 12:54 pm:

I painted this one with a rattle can for the back ground and I used a rubber roller to paint the raised letters. I sprayed the top paint on the roller and made one pass over it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 02:32 pm:

George...strange as it may sound check first with your DMV. Some states do NOT allow you to paint existing plates and then display them on your car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 03:12 pm:

Tim, don't ask, don't tell ?? If you can repaint without landing in the clink, for those who want to do their own plates, you'll find better success the heavier (more viscous) the paint is, using a relatively hard, smooth roller as opposed to a foam or napped roller. Try silk screen enamel and a soft brayer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 03:21 pm:

Didn't Steve have a tutorial, maybe even a video on exactly this?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 03:24 pm:

If you want to see how a guy who used to make silk screened metal signs for a living did his. :-)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jb8IvCaGdc

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 04:11 pm:

A little more explanation of the lettering color overlay would be helpful.
One assumes the not-shown Scotch tape application in the areas around
"KAN" is because the screen will touch those wider open areas between
the letters ???

I have several raised letter road signs I'd like to get some color on again,
but shudder at the wobbly restoration jobs I have seen done by others.
Looks like this is how they were done originally and the best way to restore
them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 04:56 pm:

Contact Steve Jelf for more info, it's his video.

Yes, there was tape in the open areas around "KAN", you can see him peel the tape off just after taking the plate out from under the silk screen. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brian Dowell in Michigan Thumb on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 05:45 pm:

You could not go wrong with Duane Wells!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 06:08 pm:

Tim, is correct states like Georgia we have to run original paint tags. Most counties are particular about it but my county you can get away with a nice restored tag probably because I have bugged the nice ladies at the tag office to let me use them. I looked for two years for a 29 Ga tag for my model A sedan. Even though it was restored it was long ago and they said nothing about it... Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Fedullo, Milford MI on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 07:29 pm:

Dan Landino does great work.

Dan Landino
37037 E. Almont
Sterling Hgts., Mi. 48310
Phone: five ate six 268-8692

https://www.alpca.org/faq/restorers/

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kirk Peterson on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 07:50 pm:

George
Maybe Fred down at Franks service on Main St might have some local options. I could also ask my cousin who lives on 168th

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Burger in Spokane on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 09:17 pm:

Mark,

I am that guy who wants to know the WHY behind the HOW. Steve
doesn't mention the tape. It just shows up as he removes it. I guess
I will talk to a local screen printing outfit and see just how flat a piece
of work has to be. Making a license plate straight and flat is a piece
of cake, compared to a 2x3 foot road sign ! The gauge is 4x the thick-
-ness too. Maybe a rubber roller is a better option ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 09:25 pm:

My dad does the background himself and then has a local sign painter/pinstriper do the numbers and letters. Examples below.

A 1929 Nebraska should be fairly easy as the background is black so there is no need to do a color match.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 11:37 pm:

Larry Hoeft does great work, is fast and $50/plate last I checked.
ldhoeft@aol.com>
402 601 9698

He has done several sets for me and I am very happy with them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 12:16 pm:

Is there anyone that can duplicate a plate to get a matched pair? Singles seem easy to find, pairs not so much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Mullin on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 12:18 pm:

Is there anyone that can duplicate a plate to get a matched pair? Singles seem easy to find, pairs not so much.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 06:53 pm:

Duane Wells. He's great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 09:35 pm:

Frankly, it's been so long since I watched that video I had forgotten about the masking. I put magic tape over the widest areas between raised letters in case the screen touched them. As you can see, it did and the tape did its job. The masking might not have been needed with a tighter screen.

I've always thought state laws forbidding plate restoration are just plain silly. How can they tell whether a plate is restored or well-preserved? They can't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 09:49 pm:

Rich be careful there. Someone might think that you are suggesting being dishonest with the DMV! As far as how-to repaint plates, I remember a magazine article from years ago that told to paint the whole plate with several coats of the color that you want the numbers and letters to be, then just enough of the background color to cover the whole plate. Then rub off the background color from the tops of the letters and numbers. I believe a clear topcoat was suggested.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 11:14 pm:

Steve, the state laws forbidding license plate restoration are probably there because some guy changed the colours to match his hot rod, or because some administrator feared it would happen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brad Marble on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 09:07 am:

When it comes to the D.M.V., it is easier to beg forgiveness than ask permission.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Hansen on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 04:56 pm:

When I restored my NM License plates I started off with a rotary wire brush... and then moved to primer. After which I painted my entire plate school bus yellow. After two days of drying I purchased a Black colored Acrylic pen at Michaels. I used a straight edge and the pen to do the edges on all letters and numbers. After all painted edges were complete I simply filled in the letters with the pen. Looked great.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration