Speedster plans

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Speedster plans
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 01:15 pm:

I have decided to take my 24 chassis I just picked up and do a speedster. Can anyone point me in the right direction to buy plans? I see a few, but recommendations go a long way!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Verne Shirk on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 01:39 pm:

Try the www.nwvs.or site. They have lots of ideas and some plans. (Northwest Vintage Speedsters)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 01:41 pm:

Generally while plans may be available it breaks down into a reproduction of something original, an owners impression, or pre built (rootlieb).

The best method in my opinion is as it was done and a do it yourself. Doing it this way you will not only produce something you are proud of but also something that is comfortable to drive.

I can help design something but as there are a wide variety of options it is best to have someones input as something good for someone may not be good for someone else. Case in point the tourabout Im doing for myself now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By M G Hillhouse on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 02:21 pm:

Step ONE buy copies of Speed and Sport an Fast Ford Handbook. The beauty of the speedster is there were no rules or standards. Just a person's own expression. Find what you like and make it. Have Fun!!! MG

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 02:41 pm:

Step TWO determine what body style you want to go with. Anybody else for a step THREE?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 03:06 pm:

Step THREE Start collecting parts that turn YOUR crank!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 03:19 pm:

Make the seats to be comfortable for YOU!! I would make them first!! Figure out a seat location and tilt that fits you to the pedals etc and to the steering. Seats that fit me at 6'4" and 36" legs may well not work for you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 04:04 pm:

Step FIVE determine how fast you want to go. Remember speed=$$$. And if you go faster then you get to spend more $$$ on brakes, suspension, gearing etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank - Three Way, TN on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 04:09 pm:

I agree with Les. Get your steering wheel where you want it, then the seats located to where you are comfortable. Then build the rest of the car around that. If you don't fit it well, you won't like it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Elliott on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 04:34 pm:

RoB:
I have the plans to build a body with a wood frame and covering like you would fine on the earlier airplanes, Fabric covered. These plans are also on the NWVSC site under my name. Let me know if. Tom Elliott twoelliott@msn.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eddy Lee Emerson on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 04:51 pm:

I built mine from the plans sold by Horseless Carriage Replicas sold by Lee Thevenet. They come on a CD. Ed

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 06:43 pm:

Step six. Include a windscreen in the design, especially if you want someone to ride with you.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 08:04 pm:

If you don't expect to drive any significant distances, pick a style you like and go for it.

If you want to really drive the car, follow the advice above. I built 2 bodies, the first was ugly but worked. The second came out a lot nicer for both form and function.

I started mocking up my car by putting the complete engine in the frame, loosely attaching the steering column and then mocked up the seating and steering wheel position based on comfort for angles, heights and distances. All this happened with scrap stuff so I then made good drawings and dimensions. I already had in mind the general shape I wanted for the boat tail body and a few other constraints like wanting doors and a trunk so I next mounted the radiator and began to layout the structure of the body based on lines that worked for my eyes. With frames made to set the shape I began work on the details of the structure and finally the skin and finish work.

If this car is to really be driven, a windscreen and brakes are a necessity. Updated steering and shocks help too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob Patterson. Australia. on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 01:23 am:

Make it easy on yourself and buy one of these little beauties http://www.rootlieb.com/speedster-kits.html
Cheers
Rob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 02:21 am:

Interesting, my plans are based on "looks cool" not on "goes fast." Actually I don't care to go fast!! I just want the "looks cool" part!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 08:47 am:

When I was in HS I built this one.

My Mom and Dad built this one back in the '80s that I then restored a while back.

Currently I am working on a '12 tourabout, pretty much a 4 seat speedster. The drawings give me a rough idea. I won't be building from the drawing but using cardboard etc to make sure it is comfortable.

Some things to remember, regardless of the body style you choose make sure the seats will hold you and your passenger in securely. A long tour/endurance run may very well involve starting out with gloves goggles jackets etc and finish up with none of that so try to have a location to keep things. When mocking up a pattern try to have someone sit next to you and go thru the motions of turning a steering wheel. Remember while driving you have a wheel to hang onto but your passenger doesn't. A final goal in mind will prevent your car from looking like something hobbled together.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 09:10 am:

Hi Rob as a speedster owner for 25 years, I echo many of the comments above.

The gallery at www.nwvs.org is a great source of ideas and elsewhere on that site there are many technical resources.

My speedster has been modified a number of times over the years to improve comfort and practicality. The photos below illustrate my approach to other's suggestions on windshields, seating and comfort.

My tall friend and I drive to the PNW for an MWVS event every September. We find these "foot pegs" to really help with comfort on long drives. Along with the step plates they give many more options for foot and leg placement.

From a comfort perspective, a windshield is pretty much required. From a design perspective, a windshield tall enough to see through is usually visually awkward, and tends to make a speedster look "dumpy", too tall for its length. My windshield is tall enough to be an effective wind deflector (and a proper windshield for kid-sized passengers) but the modest height improves (IMHO) the lines and makes the car look longer. With no frame on the top of the glass, it looks lighter still.

I used Rootlieb seat skins for the initial build many years ago and, like most builders, situated them directly side by side. During a major overhaul in 2010, we offset the seats by about 4", moving the passenger rearwards like the riding mechanics of yore. Big improvement in comfort for both of us more elbow room for the driver and more leg room for Jerry.

The side view photo illustrates a few other points about lines and design: The red skirt forms a horizontal line from front to back and helps the car look longer and less dumpy. The dual spares also improve the look by making the car longer but not higher. I also find the mild rake/angle from rear to front pleasing to the eye. This was achieved by reducing spring height front and rear along with a dropped front axle.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 02:11 pm:

Wow guys! Thanks for all the ideas and info! Now to decide what is tonight work for me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 02:12 pm:

Right to work for me. Damned autocorrect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 04:50 pm:

Hey Rob, the your Model T could be certainly be "tonight work for you".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 06:19 pm:

Rob - Someone may have already mentioned this earlier, but if not, GOOGLE (Northwest Vintage Speedster Photo Gallery) and there's enough there to keep you busy to the extent that you'll spend a few more hours gathering ideas! Many of those speedsters shown have lots of detail photos included! FWIW, .....harold

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 07:09 pm:

I just completed this one:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 09:30 pm:

It would be great to build one but still tinkering with my 26 rpu right now. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Prince Madras, Oregon on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 10:25 am:

Build what ever floats your boat and have fun with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Magee on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 03:40 pm:

Les,

Your statement regarding seats is critical if you want to enjoy your speedster for longer rides.

I love the speedster my grandfather built when I was 10, but it sure does not fit me now that I am 6'2". Seat design and comfort is not the only important decision here. The angle and position of the steering column and distance to the pedals is critical.

In the case of my speedster, the angle and position of the steering wheel is okay, but my legs are too close to the pedals. The seats are about as comfortable as a cinder block. However, my grandfather built the seats and my grandmother upholstered them, so they stay. Driving a speedster is a test of machine AND man!

Others have recommended checking out the Northwest Vintage Speedster and Museum of American Speed websites. Very good advice. The Vintage Ford magazine used to have yearly articles on speedsters and Model T speed. Not sure if MTFCA still does that, but I used to drool over some of that stuff as kid. I do not know how many plans for speedsters exist, but you can get endless inspiration and go from there.

Have fun

speedster

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rob from Nova Scotia on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 04:28 pm:

So much to choose from! I started taking stock of the parts. 26-27 rear end. Early twenties frame and front axle. 21 inch wooden wheels all around. Rims are different types, so I must sort that out. Not a bad start

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 07:11 pm:

Or these . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chadwick Azevedo on Tuesday, May 02, 2017 - 07:24 pm:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration