Fuel Filter Problem

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Fuel Filter Problem
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 04:40 pm:

I installed a glass-bowl type fuel filter, and noticed it was only half full with the fuel turned on. I checked the flow through the tubing, and it was OK. I then removed the filter and found this bloated washer which seems to be restricting the flow. My question: what sort of washer should I replace it with?

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 05:00 pm:

I am not familiar with that specific type of filter/sediment bowl, but I will say I would not use it at all.

That style sediment bowl WITHOUT the filter inside works well. Have one on my car. The problem is with the one you have is just about any filter will restrict flow. I went through heck this year just to figure that out.

I am not sure what that o-ring is doing---sealing the bolt that secures it to the bracket? Mine only has a seal to seal the bowl to the housing.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 05:52 pm:

Can't use a filter on a gravity feed Model T- too much restriction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 05:58 pm:

I just buy the fuel bulbs with from langs and make sure I have a nice clean tank and no issues. Tim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By P. Jamison- PA on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 06:16 pm:

Thanks for the tips. Maybe I'll just remove the paper filter while I'm at it. I'm not sure what the washer is either. I assumed it was to stop a leak on top, but maybe not necessary. I think the ethanol got to it.

Phil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 06:41 pm:

This is my setup, I did modify it from what I bought at the store. It is a "replacement" for a Ford 9N tractor. The tractors used a 1/2" NPT thread just like a T, but they now only seem to make them with 3/8" NPT so you'll need an adapter. Ford part# for cross reference is 2NNAA9155B.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 09:03 pm:

Your filter looks like it was "customized" ie a hole was drilled in the top to mount like that. I would mount one like Chad.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem - SE Michigan on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 11:03 am:

P.J.-PA,

If the original sediment bulb & screen aren't doing the job, you need to either rebuild/clean it and/or replace the gas tank. The filter thing you show should not be necessary. If you still want to use it, see if a Viton O-Ring will work in place of the melted gasket currently in there. A fiber washer, like the kind used in the carburetor, might also work. Then, remove the filter element completely and use it as a sediment bowl only. The heavy crud will drop to the bottom and the clean gas should flow out the top. But again, your original T sediment bulb should already do exactly that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 11:20 am:

If you insist on using that filter replace that o-ring with one made from Viton Alcohol dosent affect them!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration