Is this the remains of a man-hole oiler?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2017: Is this the remains of a man-hole oiler?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 07:07 pm:

The walls seem pretty thick unless Ford used heavier duty flip top oilers. The spindle has a ball bearing inner race and curved arm.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 07:53 pm:

With all that rust and apparent lack of lubrication for Lord knows how many decades, does that thing even MOVE?? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 08:05 pm:

No, it definitely doesn't move. I found it with a bunch of parts. Somebody cot the tie rod off with a hacksaw.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, April 30, 2017 - 11:35 pm:

Looks like one to me. The metal standing up appears to be part of the bolt, that's the way they were made.
Also note just a small chamfer above the hex and flat surface over to the "oiler".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 12:36 am:

I understand the man hole oiler to be the type with the spring loaded lid which can be lifted up, rather than hinged like the later ones. These were also made of pressed metal. The remains you have look to be a broken casting.

I could be wrong again.
Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 09:36 am:

Sure is, here is un-disturbed flip top oiler spindle arm bolt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, May 01, 2017 - 11:10 am:

Looks like someone pounded on it, but at one time, it looked like the one Dan posted.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration